coolant leak and hissing from rear of motor!

96t/acj

Dec 1, 2008
san jose
Hello supra mania,

been on here a while looking around and finding some great mod info. my car is a 87 7mgte. silver, 5 speed, targa!

Anyways the other day I was driving and I boosted getting on the freeway. I go about three exits and when i was getting off the free way I noticed some smoke out the rear of the hood and pulled over fast. as the temp of the car was rising but never really got hot! I open the hood and there is some smoke and a hissing sound coming from the rear of the motor not a lot but enough to be worried about! So I looked the best I can around the rear of the motor and I cant tell where its coming from but it is somewhere at the rear of the motor! I let it kool down then i drove it 1 miles back home the car does not heat back up but it is hissing and smoking a little it was very cold outside. but it did not run hot! I have been searching and when I get home I will check the hoses out the back of the car! and I pray it is not the coolant gasket on the egr cooling plate has I have heard it is a nightmare! any other ideas on what it might be? car was running fine before with no problems! if it does help the heat on the car sucks it does not cool anything down!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ANYTHING to do with a cooling system failure IS something to be very worried about with a 7M.......

Check the right angle hose on the hardpipe back there for starters.

I wouldn't drive it until it's sorted as you have the potential to do $$$'s of damage.

96t/acj

Dec 1, 2008
san jose
Thanks guys yeah I have another car and have not drove this since then. i was guessing that 90* elbow as it seemed kinda swollen just thought I would check with you guys as well!

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
If that hose is going assume the cap below it, the other 90* hose behind/below the tstat housing and every other heater hose needs to be checked and possibly replaced.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Its not your egr cooler plate gasket, the egr cooler is air to air (there is no coolant involved. your probably leaking from the coolant port right above it. Trust me when i say its not the egr plate b/c i bought a supra with a hole smashed in the plate and had to change it. And it is a bitch, but theres no coolant involved.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Also check the heater hose that goes along the wall into the head, the 90 deg hose and a cap thats back there. But my bet is on the 90 deg hose or the cap since they are closer to the exhaust. Good luck and let us know what the deal is .....

IndyMK3

I Hate Godzilla Too!!!!
May 15, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
I had a problem like this a few weeks ago... mine was the hose leading into the head on the back of the motor... i think it went to the heater core control valve... ???? but it swelled and split under the hose clamp... i just happened to be at school letting the turbo cool when i lost heat in the car and was like wtf... i got out and saw coolant and heard a hiss and was like crap.... got it home that night and checked it out... so check that and where everyone else is tellin you... =) hey this could also fix ur heat problem...

Bill UK

90 Supra Turbo 14 psi
Aug 11, 2006
UK
There you go! This may help. The UK (Right Hand Drive) model is slightly different.

p1204149_1.jpg

96t/acj

Dec 1, 2008
san jose
All fixed it was the 90* bend right behind the head the only problem i have now is the water fall sound behind the dash which i believe you guys said is air in the system so a little more work and were gonna be golden! i drove it last night and it ran perfect other than the water fall sound!