Coolant hoses on throttle/Idle valve

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Does anyone know what the coolant hoses that pass through the throttle and idle valve do? is it some kind of emission requirement? or maybe to prevent parts from seizing up in extreme cold?

im relocating my throttle body as a front facing manifold and was considering not connecting them up (wont be a big issue if i do or don't)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
They are there to heat the TB/ISCV to prevent intake icing under certain OAT/humidity conditions. It does not have to be below freezing outside to meet these conditions either ;)

In most warm climates you can do away with them without a problem.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
i come from the land down under :) it never snows anywhere except on a mountian's here,

Lowest it gets is 5deg celcius and this isnt a daily driver anyway only a weekender so usual temp is 17-25deg C

should give me less heat soak in the throttle at least :)

cheers for that!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Here's a chart that shows when intake icing is most likely...yes, it's an aircraft engine, carburetor icing chart. Works exactly the same for an earth bound motor with a TB though:

Carb Icing Chart.gif

If you live in a climate where the humidity/temp conditions are in the orange, green, or blue bands you might want to keep the coolant hoses...definitely in the blue or green. Like I said, it does not have to be freezing outside or freezing precipitation (snow, sleet, etc) for intake icing to form. For example, at +20 deg C OAT, +10 deg C dewpoint (~50% humidity) puts the engine well in the green zone for moderate icing at cruise (steady state RPM) and serious icing at idle RPM.

hvyman;1344055 said:
bypass that shit

You do not want to "bypass that shit" without thinking about it. The good news is all that will happen is the engine will run like crap and perhaps strand you on the roadside for a bit till the ice melts...while you scratch your head and blame it on "the crappy 7M". Different story on an airplane...there's been a lot of smoking holes from this happening to airplane engines.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
to be honest id say we fall outside the effected area, all local cars produced her are not fitted with coolant that passes through throttles. IJ lives in the same part of Aus as me, maybe he'd know!

this is a weekender anyway so chances are if it was cold enough that ice is forming id rather be inside with a heater watching tv :p ill see how hard it is to retain once i get my manifold back, i was thinking along the lines of heat soak into the throttle, why introduce heat if its not needed... ill see when i get the manifold back :)