Coolant does not circulate with the thermostat in.. 2 working thermostats tested....

JP85MX73

May 24, 2010
NY
I recently swapped a 1j into my x7 and it constantly began to run hot.. after a week or so i realized the lower hose would constantly stay cold and it was clear that coolant wasn't circulating. I just put in a new water pump so i know that's not the suspect and the radiator is new as well.. When the thermostat is not in the car the coolant circulates fine and this is how I've been driving for a while.... but now that its getting cold i need this thing back in... The only thing i thought of is to drill holes in the thermostat but.... that couldn't be the only problem.... also my heater core lines are looped in the back above the engine.. and my radiator sits a bit low... But i didnt attribute this into it because i had bled the coolant and let it run with the front end all the way up so the radiator was the highest point... I guess theres an air bubble forming or something isnt allowing the thermostat to open? Has anyone got any ideas because im stumped.....:icon_mad::icon_mad::icon_mad:

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
This may seem like a lame question, but how do you know its running hot? How are you reading temps, where is the sensor?
Does the system build pressure?
Have you tried a different t-stat? Huh, just noticed the title, n/m.
Try putting a bleeder, inline with the bypassed heater core line. And burp the system.

JP85MX73

May 24, 2010
NY
Im pretty positive that the engine was running too hot... to the touch the head was insanely hot and making funny noises while the radiator body was cold... and with the cap off i saw no coolant circulation.. and i did at one point check the temp on the neck of the radiator and it was at 190+ the thermometer i used stopped at 190 and it went way past that. Even after driving aggressive for 30+ minutes it still didn't circulate... Im not positive it was overheating, but just by common sense and observation i believe it was. I was thinking the same thing with a bleeder valve on the heater hose.. my next idea was to drill 2 holes in a replacement thermo and put that in then bleed the system from the heater hose... and i believe that the 1jz thermo can only go in 1 way?? I tried putting it in opposite from what i had done and it doesn't fit.. can a 1/2jz thermo go in backwards?

JP85MX73

May 24, 2010
NY
http://autodiyonline.com/lexus-diys/...t-install-diy/

At the bottom of this article it says something about a notch allowing air bubbles to pass... possibly i didnt have it lined up right? Ill have to reinstall it and see it it makes a difference?? My first thermo had the little hole and my replacement had no holes... maybe the first wasnt lined up right and the second one was just a wrong part?

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
they are directional. the copper element that lets it open has to be in the engine side of the housing, otherwise it will never heat enough to open.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Get a stock t-stat, and cut the jiggle valve off. Then install it with the hole at the top.

If you use a stock t-stat its not possible to install it backwards.