Coolant Change...Stuck Drain Plug

landtoy80

Jul 16, 2007
grand junction, CO
I tried to remove the block drain plug but its tight/stuck?

How much pressure do I put on it before it breaks?

If I can't get it off, can I just drain and fill coolant via the rad until it comes out clear then just add the correct amount of coolant to make it a 50/50 mix?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
You could always pull the lower rad hose off. If you're going to do that might as well add a flush chemical first and afterwards stick a garden hose in the lower, remove the thermostat, pull the upper and reverse flush. Flush the rad separately while you have the hoses off.

Otherwise just drain and fill a couple of times before adding antifreeze. It's not the best method though and you may want to use distilled for the fill and drains.

landtoy80

Jul 16, 2007
grand junction, CO
The drain plug will not turn but the drain cock does.
Do I just remove the drain cock assembly and remove the plug off the vehicle?
What do I seal the cock assembly with?

OR should I just tighten up the cock and leave well enough alone?

landtoy80

Jul 16, 2007
grand junction, CO
Got the cock assembly off. The brass plug head is chewed up but will still hold water.

What do I use to seal the cock ass.? I have the liquid thread sealant that is used in place of Teflon tape. It says its for steam, are natural gas, so it should be ok for the cock ass, right?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
landtoy80;1058178 said:
Got the cock assembly off. The brass plug head is chewed up but will still hold water.

What do I use to seal the cock ass.? I have the liquid thread sealant that is used in place of Teflon tape. It says its for steam, are natural gas, so it should be ok for the cock ass, right?
Uhmmm....KY. :) No Teflon or the thread sealant you talk of should work.