Cool tip I found for short shift mod

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
yeah, it's a definite buzzing noise... really annoying. it seems my shifter is a lil wore out... if I hold the shifter in just the right spot the noise goes away... haven't gotten around to disassembling it yet.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
What bothers me, is that you can't swing a dead cat on Ebay without hitting a sub-$30 shifter for a mkIV.
Are they top notch? Prolly not, so spend $100, and get a nice one-aka- 1/3 the price of a decent mkIII shifter.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Tried this a while back. There was a very small amount of noise. What bothered me though, the shifter is really low and the throw is still really far. Shifting feels worse than stock. I wouldn't recommend doing it. Luckily mine came apart without breaking so I was able to put it back together.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Sky/Solstice uses an evolution of the R154 transmission, so it's not out of the question for the shifter to work.

Also, there are better shifter bushings, and making the shifter "short" is worse for driving as it's farther from the steering wheel.

Look at any supercar/racecar and you'll see the shifter very close to the steering wheel. Hell, some are longer than ours...

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Yeah I did this mod on my W58 and what I didn't like was that not only does it move the shifter down, but also forward, since the stock shifter leans back toward the driver in all the gears. So with the shorter stalk you have to reach forward a few more inches and it's awkward and uncomfortable.

I fixed it myself by welding a dog leg in the shifter to move it back about and inch and a half, but it's still not as far back as the super long stock shifter was.

I personally don't notice a buzz except for under high loads below 2000 rpm.