Cooking help for the noob on the go

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
do you have a barbeque grill? if so there are lots of easy to do recipes there. one of my favorites is grilled chicken breasts marinated in garlic butter with grilled fresh corn on the cob.
to accomplish this preheat the grill to about 300* , then turn one burner off. place the corn cob/cobs with the leaves still on 3/4 of them (its better to do two) in tinfoil shiny side in leaves down. place about a teaspoon of butter and whatever seasoning you like (i usually just shake a little pepper, lemon juice, and some garlic salt on mine) in the tinfoil with at least two fullsize ice cubes per cob and seal. place the corn on the bottom rack directly above the burner that is still going. you want to cook the corn for about 1/2 hr so plan accordingly... do not disturb the corn! then with about 15 minutes left on the corn place the chicken breasts on the top rack above the corn. cook them till done throughout turning halfway through as to not burn.

when removing the corn from the grill, be careful not to break the tinfoil seal as the butter will flair up. also be careful when opening the tinfoil as it will be full of very hot steam.

enjoy! this can also be done with steak, but cooking times will vary. and the steak should be grilled on the bottom rack beside the corn. if you cant grill steak.... you are beyond help.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

damn now im hungry..... off to the store for supplies!

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hahaha, I love this thread. You know, some of the very best food I've ever eaten was cooked on a camp fire. :D

Seriously though, I may start working on my back yard within the year, dig myself a place to make a fire pit...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You can build a grill in the back yard with $20 worth of stuff. Stack cinderblocks into an open box shape with no front. Throw an old oven grill over the top, and you're done. Cook over wood or charcoal.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
bioskyline;1700213 said:
damnit! now im hungry
Well, this should help. Dinner for the family on the weekend consisted of:

GRILL.JPG

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
those potatoes on the top rack? whats your method on those? i have always anted to try grilled taters... but never had a recipe or instructions on grilling them

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Yes, those are potatoes. They aren't really grilled, I'm just using the grill to bake them. Wash, wrap them in tinfoil with the shiny side in, make sure there's at least two layers everywhere. Put them on the top rack or indirect heat for about an hour, or until you can squeeze them and they don't feel like a rock any more. Use oven mitts, of course. Makes for a great baked potato. I put them on the grill about 55 minutes before I cook the rest of the meal.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GrimJack;1700171 said:
You can build a grill in the back yard with $20 worth of stuff. Stack cinderblocks into an open box shape with no front. Throw an old oven grill over the top, and you're done. Cook over wood or charcoal.

Oh, well aware, that's what we used for our campfire food back in the day. Couple big, somewhat flat rocks, and a grill grate over the top. :)

Another good tasty dish is to hollow out a potato somewhat, and stick meat, cheese, veggies, etc... then wrap it up using Grim's method before. Just make sure the meat isn't still pink before you go to eat it. ;)

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
So ill share the little recipe me and my dad make all the time, you can make a BUNCH of it and its good for a few meals we call it train wreck

1. Cook Rice or Noodles in a big pot
2. Brown Ground Beef or chicken or any meat that you'd like
3. Microwave mixed veggies or your favorite one, I love corn
4. After its all cooked throw it all together in a big pot
5. Add tomato sauce (not paste!) and stir until its all mixed usually one can will suffice, just make sure rice or noodles are coated
6. stir in cheese, i usually do like a mexican blend but whatever cheese youd like use
7. Let it sit for like 10 minutes, get yourself a bowl, and put the rest in the fridge

yummmmy

jstricker

Sep 10, 2010
Kansas
Quick and easy quasi-Italian red sauce you can use for spaghetti or lasagna. Note I said quick and easy, not real and delicious, but it's not bad.

Cook the pasta. Boil the water first and add a pat of butter and a little salt, keeps the pasta from sticking together and/or getting slimy. Takes about 8 minutes to cook most pasta, give or take.

While the pasta is cooking, brown some meat, about a pound or a little less. Hamburger, Italian sausage, whatever. Once did this with zucchini for a vegetarian friend, but use whatever you're in the mood for. If you're doing meat once it's browned, drain it thoroughly. In the same pan you browned the meat/whatever in take one can of Campbells tomato soup. Add 1/8 tsp of oregano, 1/8 tsp of chili powder, 1/4 tsp marjoram (ground), garlic, salt, and pepper to taste (I personally put the garlic, salt, and pepper in the meat when I'm browning it, but it works either way). Stir the sauce over a medium heat and when it begins to bubble and is well mixed, add the meat/whatever.

Pasta's done now so drain it and rince it with hot water. Rinse thoroughly and drain well. You can either mix the sauce in the pasta now or seve both separately with cheese, etc.

This makes enough for large portions for two people and smaller portions for three depending on how much you like to eat. It can be made in 15 minutes from start to finish.

You can use the same thing in a mix for lasagna and layer it with different cheeses, veggies, and other meats but the sauce stays the same.

No, it's not as good as using real tomato paste and sauce just like that's not as good as making the sauce from fresh tomatos, but it's better than most restaurant food and definitely healthier.

John Stricker
Russell, KS

PS: want to make some of the best coffee you'll ever drink? Simple, just use distilled water. If you make coffee with tapwater you won't believe how much better it is.

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
Buy a slow cooker, crockpot, ot what ever you want to call it. There ate many simple recipes that just require putting the ingredients in and turning it on. You can do what I do and set it up the night before and turn it on in the morning. Excellent way to make pulled chicken for sandwiches or tacos or whatever. Insert chicken breasts, cook on low for 6 hours. Shred meat with fork.