Considering a move to Colorado

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
After 21 years in Arizona, I'm considering a move to Colorado. Possibly the Loveland/Ft. Collins area, or the outskirts of Colorado Springs if a job lead pans out. Will be looking for a house in a semi-rural area with at least 1 acre (enough space for a small shop). What's the deal with emissions and modded cars? None of my Supras are daily drivers, but i still gotta ask do cars rust in CO? Opinions from Colorado Supras? Thank you all in advance.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Emmissions are cake here and they really don't care at all about mods. So long as the exhaust is somewhat civilized and the engine looks complete I doubt you'd have problems.

Rust is actually not bad at all here. Winter time can bring some nasty road salt, but wash your car well once a week in the winter months and you should stay rust free. If you dont drive the car in the winter, obviously it wont rust. Colorado has a VERY dry climate, so you really need a catalyst for any rust to form.

Good state and climate, I'd say. FoCo is a great place to live, IMO. #2 city to live in the USA.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
GotBoost?;1086291 said:
After 21 years in Arizona, I'm considering a move to Colorado. Possibly the Loveland/Ft. Collins area, or the outskirts of Colorado Springs if a job lead pans out. Will be looking for a house in a semi-rural area with at least 1 acre (enough space for a small shop). What's the deal with emissions and modded cars? None of my Supras are daily drivers, but i still gotta ask do cars rust in CO? Opinions from Colorado Supras? Thank you all in advance.

I do not know about corrosion with cars, but I am in Arizona and am getting out of here. I WISH that I could go to Ft. Collins. It is a fairly quiet college town, with a bit to do. There is a nice little shopping district to walk around as well. Denver is very close too.

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
Well, if you choose Colorado Springs, we currently have no emissions here, but CSPD often likes to give exhaust tickets and other bullshit to modified imports.... So thats a downside. As far as rust, its generally too dry here for a whole lot of that to happen, but the city often goes a bit overkill with the road salt in the winter, thus creating HUGE potholes and some rust on the underside of the car (not a ton, though).

If you did want a house with a largeish lot, I would look into the Falcon/Peyton/Calhan area.... Seems everything is expanding there these days. Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any more questions regarding Colorado Springs, I've lived here all 23 years, lol.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
loveland ft collins does not have any emissions, co springs does now. would be cool to have another mkiii guy here all the other guys are really cool

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Entropy;1088832 said:
Really? Do we? I havn't checked recently, lol.

thats what all the co springs guys were saying, or at least you are getting it very very soon! (lame huh?)

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
Yeah, it is, but not that I'm surprised by it.... after we did away with emissions, it seems like every Honda Civic, Dodge (Neon) SRT-4, Mustang, and Camaro in town took off their cats in the span of like a week, lol. Oh well!

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
tlo86;1088787 said:
loveland ft collins does not have any emissions, co springs does now. would be cool to have another mkiii guy here all the other guys are really cool

Well shit, we'll have to do some BBQ and/or Wrenchin' Parties when I get out there...LOL! Still got a bunch of stuff to put in the Supra, but it'll all have to wait 'til I move out there.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
GotBoost?;1086291 said:

Aww thinking of leaving us in Arizona huh Dan? That's blaspheme it would'nt be the same with out you :icon_razz who are we going to get to bring a MKIII and a MKIV to our supra gatherings haha!

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
Hey Clint, yeah, i'm checking on a possible job in Colorado Springs.
Just so I'm clear, does Co. Springs currently have emission testing or not? And would I start getting rusty undercarriage suspension hardware even if i only drive when it's dry out? And is it true some cities set up roadside emission testing units? If so, do they issue tickets? That would suck big time.
Semirural is what I have in mind. Somebody mentioned Peyton. What's the area like? What about the Black Forest? How is the traffic from there to Co. Springs?
Thank you all again.

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
GotBoost?;1096608 said:
Hey Clint, yeah, i'm checking on a possible job in Colorado Springs.
Just so I'm clear, does Co. Springs currently have emission testing or not? And would I start getting rusty undercarriage suspension hardware even if i only drive when it's dry out? And is it true some cities set up roadside emission testing units? If so, do they issue tickets? That would suck big time.
Semirural is what I have in mind. Somebody mentioned Peyton. What's the area like? What about the Black Forest? How is the traffic from there to Co. Springs?
Thank you all again.

Well, I just got new tags for my truck, and they didn't ask me to get an emissions test, but then again I've only had it a little over a year, so yeah....

Doubtful that you would get any rust on the underside if you only drove it when it was dry out, since its very desert-like out here as of late. Seriously, the rain goes around the city, lol.

Denver does have a few roadside emissions testing units (last I checked, at least), but I have never seen one in Colorado Springs, nor have I ever heard of anyone getting a ticket for emissions in the State of Colorado.... But you may wanna look into that a bit further.

Peyton is a few miles east of Colorado Springs, and, well, its very "rural," we'll say, lol. Traffic to get to/from there is rarely ever bad. As far as Black Forest goes, the houses are a bit more expensive out there, but its pretty nice. Probably a 5-10 minute drive north of town. Traffic is a little bit worse at key points in the day (7-9 am, 4-6 pm), but even then isn't that much worse unless theres an accident.

This brings me to the drivers here..... Not the best, I'm not gonna lie. I generally almost get creamed at least twice a week, although I do drive alot.... 75% of the people here DO NOT know how to use a round-a-bout or a merge lane. Often times they stop, and thats bad, lol.:3d_frown: I could rant for hours on this, but I won't bore you with that.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Last edited:

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
im in denver, we have road side emissions but they do not issue tickets. They are for people that are suppose to do the emission testing for their plates. if they drive through it 2 times atleast a month before and pass both times you will not be required to do a test. So you don't have to pay the 25.25 for emissions test also. I was up in springs this past weekend and to my surprise i walk out to see a light blue mk3 at dennys and it had detachable steering wheel. Didnt want to be seen snooping haha just a fellow supra owner. =)

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
I loved colorado when I was there, Lived in cherry creek area of denver great weather, winters not as bad as missouris shitty winters, and atl easyt the humidity is almost non existant so no worries during the summer, only downside is high altitude may reduce your power output slightly but no biggy

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Roadside emissions testing units are there for your convenience so that you dont have to go in when your registration is up every other year. They do not issue tickets what-so-ever. If you fail it horribly, the car's registered might get a notice in the mail saying your emissions might be off the charts, but thats about it.

If you are worried about it, just let off the gas while you pass it.

duffer26

Jun 15, 2005
Colorado Springs CO
and by the way no E-test in elpaso county at this moment or in the near future if they did want to reinstate it would be 09 or later befor they could roll out the stuff to do it and certify enugh people to do so