Connecting an auto transmission to engine block

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
I wasn't sure where to post this but hopefully you guys can help me out....

Ok, so my engine is completely rebuilt & ready to get back in my car. However, I'm having trouble hooking the transmission back to the engine.

I was wondering if anyone knew any tricks to get the engine and transmission together and in sync?

Also, can someone tell me how to hook the torque converter up to the drive plate/flywheel? I know it just uses 6 bolts but I was wondering if anyone one could describe how to connect everything.

Sorry if my questions seem dumb, I had to buy a new torque converter because i fucked mine up and I would rather not have to again.

Thanks!

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
make sure you put the torque converter in right, they actually have a good detailed way to do it in the TSRM or a haynes. (this is what gave me the most trouble, if its in wrong it will stick out making the bellhousing an inch away from the block or so)

when you get the torque converter on the transmission you will have your bellhousing bolted to your engine once you get that right, there is the plate (this is held by brackets bolted to your block) under the oil pan where you can see the driveplate. rotate the transmission shaft or crank as neccessary to line them up

you should connect one bolt at a time (torque isnt very much, 9lbs if i remember correctly?) and turn the crankshaft until you bolt the rest up as thats the easiest method

then you bolt on the brackets that reinforce the hold on the engine and tranny that also holds on the torque plate

i actually took off two autos this week =/ one off my 7mgte and the other off my 2jzgte. methods are the same.

*edit* figured i'd add this
p736796_1.jpg

the brackets im talking about are the ones between the transmission and the downpipe in the pic thats pretty much how you get to the bolts on the driveplate.

its actually really easy the only tough part for me was mounting the transmission on the engine while the engine was still in the car... after that i took the engines out to get the trannys off lol

Last edited:

kHaNg

Like FAtHer Like SoN
Apr 17, 2007
Mass
motor and transmission 600lbs is a beast without engine hoast and cherry picker =\

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
when i installed my auto all i had was a block of wood and two jacks but this time i did have a cherry picker and took the engines out :)