Computer problems again, and dont act surprised!

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Im gunna cut and paste this from SF and give the link so you guys can see whats up... I hate my computer... I really should never own one... Its obvious me and them dont get along... All I wanted was to get better sound, now I have NO sound... FACK!

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498039

Ok, so I installed SB Live, it was suppose to have some cool EQ features and all this... It didnt, it was lame, so I uninstalled it... Things were weird, so I did a restore point from 2 days ago... Now... nothing... My computer keeps going through the boot cycle, over and over...

It gets me to a screen that says your computer had unexpected shut down, yada yada yada, restart normally, restart at the last known good configuration, restart in safe mode...

Well, if I dont do anything, it just keeps cycling...

I tried all three settings, and safe mode is the only one that lets me get on my comp... And everything is HUGE! and half my shit wont work... I tried to restore to an even earlier date, but still same problem... I tried to restore to today, and still same problem... So I got on under safe mode with networking so I can get on line and see if someone is on that can help me figure out wtf is wrong with this piece of shit... I swear, Im this close to chucking this thing in the swimming pool...

BTW: 600 by 800 dpi FOR THE MOTHER FUCKIN LOSS!!!!

Everything was fine until it said, would you like to restart now? And I said, yes...

Why would it keep cycling like this...

Oh, I went to device manager, no yellow triangles... I did a diagnostic on my hard drive and my system, no errors... WTH?

HELP ME!

Reign_Maker;6097308 said:
Jag, should I uninstall all of these? And why would my PC disable the nVidia thing?
3485c2c.jpg

Also, I dunno if I had Sound Blaster before, I never looked... Im thinking I have legacy sound card... But what I dont get is when I deleted the SB, it took all my audio controls with it, even my volume controls...

How can I fix this? I dont have the original disk, because I bought the comp from someone... I have system recovery, a part of my main HD is partitioned... But what scares the crap outta me is that if I do a system recovery, Im going to loose all my "other" stuff on the hard drive thats not part of the original software package... Am I right?
Reign_Maker;6098202 said:
I did that, and rebooted, and no blue screen...

It keeps trying to get me to load the drivers for two unknown devices... When I go through the sequence, it asks for the disk, well, I have no disk... So am I SOL?

There has to be a site that can scan your comp and see what you have and recommend the drivers you need... Come on... This is the internets... :sighs: Just frustrating, and yes, I know, computers hate me...

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Safe mode is default to 600x800, nothing you can do about that except change it to 640x420 or something like that. My educated guess is that when you uninstalled that program, it took with it some of the neccessary components and files you need to boot. None of this is horribly bad, all you need to do is put in a recovery disk and run the fix and repair option (all varries if you use a strait windows disk or you have one that came with the computer). If you need to get walked through it, shoot me a PM and I will send you my cell #, ill walk you through it.

BTW, do NOT remove anything you listed.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
It only gets better... Im fucked, and so sick, and tired, I hate this crap...
Reign_Maker;45605 said:
I formatted my slave HD, its only 37gigs, but it should be enough to hold my "valuable" folders... Im gunna pull it from the comp, and do a recovery on my master... Creative has installed something on my HD that I can not, for the life of me, remove... I've searched the HD and deleted every Creative/Sound Blaster file, yet everytime I rebot, they come right back... Last night, up till 4am with this... I found out I have a RealTek sound card, so I got the drivers, and it conflicted with Creative, again, so again, I had the loop in my boot, had to do the safe mode again... Im so mad, because Im so dumb... All I wanted were a few features the Sound Blaster had, like the ambient EQ and whatever, just to have nicer sound, and I ended up having NO sound... I updated all my drivers, found the drivers I needed and Creative wont let me do anything... Its so effin annoying...
Reign_Maker;45749 said:
Ok, now Im really mad... I have a head ache, and Im truly sick of this piece of shit...

I did a system recovery... It did NOTHING... Well, it did something... I lost all my favorites, all my book marks, all my settings, everything... I can no longer install Mozila Firefox because every time I try to get on FF is boots me and says something, I forget, so I removed FF and tried to reinstall it, and same problem, now I cant use FF, I have to use this shitty IE7... Which I hate... Also, I cant use wireless internet anymore, because I dont have the drivers for the wireless card, and its a Bufallo Air Station, so no drivers on line for it... So when I hooked the internet straight to my comp, now my room mate has no wireless...

And get this, after ALLLLLLLL this bullshit, I still have NO FUCKING SOUND!!!! So my guess is, the POS sound card thats on the mother board is defective, so thats why there is a soundblaster sound card in there... *SB Live 5.1 Digitil SB0220* I have a sound blaster live disk, BUT, its for the sound blaster live 24 bit... Guess what I cant find on line? Thats right... Drivers for the Live 5.1!!! WTF! And what sucks is the guy I bought this computer from either doesnt have the disks anymore, or he doesnt like me, so I dunno if I should even ask him... I just wanna punch Compaq in the face... But first, I have to punch my own face, because I did this to myself this time... Its just like my Supra... I take a PERFECTLY good running car and I want it better, and I fucking ruin it... I take a PERFECTLY good running computer and I want it better, and I just ruin it...

Im fucking dumb...

Is there ANY fucking hope for this? Or do I have to buy a new sound card and new wireless adapter?

BatM70bile

May 14, 2008
IA
The legacy drivers get installed whenever you install any audio device. How old is this Compaq? If it's more than a year or two, based on the symptoms I'd guess leaky caps.

leakycap.jpg

Open the case and look for something like the left one or the right one. See how the one on the left is bulging upwards and the one on the right is leaking? Pop the case open and check 'em out. Look around the processor area first because that's where most of them I find go out.

If that isn't the case, have you completely taken out the new sound card? While you're in there you might as well do this if you haven't. If the problems started then, I'd rip that out and see if they continue.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
my question is if the legacy sound is onboard. If the old sound card is built into the motherboard and you tried to instal the SB without first disabling the onboard in the bios you will have a conflict.

FIRST- remove the soundblaster card from the machine.

NEXT get into the bios during boot by pressing the F2 key (I think its F2 for Compaq, but maybe not, if not just start mashing the F keys while its booting until you find the BIOS) In one of the menus you should find a place where you can enable/disable onboard sound. Disable it. Reboot.

NOW you should be able to properly instal the SB card without issue.

Also, what OS are you using?

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Computer is not evn a year old... None of them look swollen or leaking... I took the SB card out when I did the system recovery thinking, well, when I do this, it will reinstall all the old drivers, well, it didnt...

Im still missing the "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio" and the "Realtek High Definition"... The UAA should be in the System devices after the Microsoft Systems Management BIOS Driver, and its not... And Im getting a "!" on my PCI Input Device... My room mate has an HP, and Compaq is made by HP now, so Im using hers to see what mine is missing...

Also, I have tried to use Compaqs Application Recovery ro reinstall the Realtek drivers, and it says they are installed, but there is no driver there... I think my problem is I dont have the UAA... How do I get that?

Also, does anyone know where I can get the drivers on line for the SB LIVE 5.1? And the drivers for the Buffalo Air Station Wireless G model# WLI2-PCI-G54S wireless intenet card?

The other thing that has me pissed is that I cant get FireFox to work anymore, and I HATE IE7... After using FF3 for the past few months, Im just hooked... Adicted, lol...

Im gunna try finding the BIOS and checking for onboard sound...

Thanks for all the help guys...

afc66g.jpg

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Poodles;1069989 said:
PCI Input device could be the wireless card.
It was the SB card... I pulled it out now...

sooooooooooooo, thanks to Pete... *weezl*

SUCCESSSSSS!!!!

I went into the bios, and it was set to auto... I set it to enable on board sound, and bam, the drivers were back, ANNNNND I got the feature I wanted, which was the use of true 5.1 sound! I pulled the SB card... *For Sale, one slightly used SB card with NO effin drivers: $1*

Thanks Pete! I wish I knew this before i did the system recovery, because I bet thats all I needed... :(

Now, I need to get my wireless adapter working again, and figure out why I cant get FF3 again and I'll be super happy!

You know what sucks about technology? LOSING IT! ;)

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Reign_Maker;1070000 said:
It was the SB card... I pulled it out now...

sooooooooooooo, thanks to Pete... *weezl*

SUCCESSSSSS!!!!

I went into the bios, and it was set to auto... I set it to enable on board sound, and bam, the drivers were back, ANNNNND I got the feature I wanted, which was the use of true 5.1 sound! I pulled the SB card... *For Sale, one slightly used SB card with NO effin drivers: $1*

Thanks Pete! I wish I knew this before i did the system recovery, because I bet thats all I needed... :(

Now, I need to get my wireless adapter working again, and figure out why I cant get FF3 again and I'll be super happy!

You know what sucks about technology? LOSING IT! ;)

If it is a true SoundBlaster card, you should look on it and see what the model number and/or name of it is.
IE: Audigy, Audigy2, Live.. there are many cards out there.
From there, go to SoundBlaster.com and click on "support". On the next page, click "SoundBlaster" [the one that looks like your bare sound card]. From each of these pages, you should be able to find drivers for your specific card and operating system.
I know you JUST want operational 5.1 sound, but unless on-board sound is years newer than your sound card, it isn't going to be quite as good as what is usually offered by Creative Labs.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Try installing FF2 and see if that works, then update to FF3. Should be able to find it on download.com. Can you find the company page for your wireless card? Or is it an onboard deal? If it's on board, get on HP's customer support live chat (excellent in my experience, they actually knew how to help instead of just saying send it in over and over and over like Dell does) and ask them about drivers for it, they'll be able to provide you with something. If it's third party, try and find the company's web page and if nothing else shoot them an email about it.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
Ive always had problems with soundblaster cards, unless you use the original CD. I bet if you reinstall windows itll fix all your problems! thats what i had to. Ive also had a lot of problems with the software they give you with it, the EQ and mixig stuff. I never install that. The cards cant be beat for sound quality though!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
WOOT! Glad I could help Jake. (seeing as computer hardware support is what I do for a living, I would hope I could at least give good computer advice, lol)

yeah, I didnt see this until today and that was after you did the sys restore...I would have warned you that you were gonna lose everything doing that.

Im not sure about getting firefox back as Im still an IE7 user (yeah I know, too lazy to try something new), but you might try setting the program access defaults to "use my current browser" (start > all programs > very top of the list, click custom then check the radio box under default web browser)

I doubt that will have an effect unless the problem with firefox is with windows not allowing it.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Well, I got FF3 back... And Pete, you should come to the dark side, its awesome... See, I have this little plug in that turns all my buttons into cats... OMG! I cant get enough of them critters!

My wireless card is a Buffalo Air Station Wireless G WLI2-PCI-G54S I went to their site and DL'd the drivers... They were zip files... So I got WinZip, and then I reinstalled the drivers... Now it says they are installed but cant work because of something or other...

As for the sound blaster card, Im not even messing with it anymore... I have sound, it works for me, I like the new sound, better than the old sound... As a matter of fact, I dont think this SB card was doin its thing anyway, I never had 5.1 sound before... Which, BTW, for you kids that dont have it, GET IT! Its frikkin awesome!