Computer Help

L

lanky189

Ok I'm not computer expert. I'm no computer novice. I point and click and I'm happy.

We upgraded our computer from an HP to an Emachine (keep the laughter to a minimum) our HP had some valuable info on it but the HP will not boot.. for anything. Is there a way to add the old Harddrive from the HP in our Emachine cabinet, and hook it up so we can access it?

Thanks a bunch
Matthew

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
what operating systems are both running?

you can pull the hdd out of the old one and put it in the new one and access the files fromthe new computer (Most likley)

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
What he said, thats what I did anyway. Plus, then you'll have an extra harddrive to store all your "supra" pics/vids on... Not that thats what I did.

L

lanky189

windows running both.

my problem is getting both to boot up.

They are both hooked up. the main hd as the master the other as the slave....

btw..the old hd was an older version of windows.. 98 i think...

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
ok, that's fine... to my knowladge, any windows o/s can read a FAT32 file system, so reading it should be okay dokay :)

what's the problem getting'em to boot/ what error do youget/

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Yeah, sounds like you got it hooked up correctly, but also, did you change the settings in the CMOS? (I think that is what it is still called) Sometimes that can affect things.

So with both HDD's in the Emachine, no booty?

I'd check the CMOS.

When you boot it up doesn't say somehting like "press del to enter setup"?
If it does do it, and find the standard cmos settings. You should see somthing like "primary boot drive" and "primary master" "primary slave" "secondary master" "secondary slave".

Your new hdd should be "primary master". Your old hdd should be either "primary slave" or "secondary master" depending upon where your cd-rom drive is hooked up to.

On the main board you should have two hdd slots. Usually right next to the plug it says "hdd 0" and "hdd 1" or some combination.

I would put the two hard drives on the primary and the cd on the secondary and see what you get.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Just connect the old drive to the secondary IDE channel off the motherboard. You might need another ribbon cable.

Make certain you get the ribbon cable inserted the right way around, on both ends.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
ok, well since we have some computer peeps... i need help w/ mine.

mine begain a physical memory dump... and it went to the blue screen. its running win2000.

anyways, i turned it off and stuff. and it starts to reboot, but it askes for a boot disk now, and i dont got one... i dont even got the win2000 cd... what do i do???

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Flub does it say thats its missing the NTLRD <--- i think thats the abreviation.
and lanky send it to me......
heh...
ill sell u mine for $600 lanky or flub
2000xp
Giga Byte MB
838mb ram
80 gb hd
5700 256DDR AGP
CDRW 52X
DVD
350W PS
Windows XP pro
100/10 Ethernet

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
its NTLDR i just got my comptia A+ certification yay for me. anyway dude just have a firend download one from a windows site. all you need is a floppy disc to save the boot.ini NTLDR and boot files onto, then when you start up your comp in the cmos select to boot from floppy, then it will save the missing files to your harddrive for a working boot sequence. then once you get to a running screen then just export any files you need and reformat.

btw you could just use the comp your using to post on this forum. cus im geussing your not using the problematic comp right now.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Are the HD's set as slave and master with the little pins on the back? Not sure if that will do it or not... If someone said this, sorry, I didn't see it.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Hehehe someone I work with had some valuable info on their computer, and he didn't know JACK about them. I started explaining things to him, and someone else was helping out as well. I believe I heard the phrase "You are lucky that you work with nerds, or you'd be fucked right about now". :p