Computer crashing. need help

shaggyskadude13

AAARRRGGGHH!!!!!
May 16, 2007
Rockledge, Florida
My computer crashes when ever I play games on it. It just lock up and I can move the mouse but if I click it just jumps the clicker to the middle of the screen and it wont even respond to crtl alt dlt. I dont think its overheating because the temp in the room is around 68 degrees right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brent.

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This is more my field XD
A million questions to find your answer.
1.CPU
2.Do you oc
3.video card.
4.do you oc that
5.How much ram
6.what kind of games

here is a basic program that will tell you your temps
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Its called speed fan I think.

I can tell you this, if your running with a stock video card around 64MB and with a lousy cpu it's gonna freeze.

Christopher

Edit: Alright, 512, my bad, what are you running cpu wise?

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
So the drivers screw the fan over, roll back to your old. A contributing factor, but with the vague info he gave us, "My computer crashes", it might not be the only problem, leading to his issue. That's why i asked what else he's got to see what were looking at. A computer doesn't run on just a video card...
Ass...

Christopher

shaggyskadude13

AAARRRGGGHH!!!!!
May 16, 2007
Rockledge, Florida
It's a athlon 64 X2 dualcore 6400+ 3.21 Ghz
I've got 4 gigs of ram but because im running on xp it only uses 3.5 of it.
None of it is overlcocked. And as I said before the only game it seems to chash on is WoW. Ive ran many other games more graphics intensive on it with max settings with no problem.

And thanks for the link, I'll try the different drivers.

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Not bad at all, without oc it should easily run with good temps, even more so if you got a case with good air flow.
I'd roll back your drivers as the "ass" suggested and try it again. See what happens. If its still iffy, we can go from there.
If its really a fan issue with your drivers, I've seen programs that allow you to control your fan speed, you can keep it at a certain speed if it doesn't want to on auto. I bet I have one, if you need it, I'll send it to you. you could try the program I suggested, record your idle temps, then what they peak at when under high stress. Then let us know the results.

Christopher

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Athena;1525567 said:
Not bad at all, without oc it should easily run with good temps, even more so if you got a case with good air flow.
I'd roll back your drivers as the "great guy with the best answer first" suggested and try it again. See what happens. If its still iffy, we can go from there.
If its really a fan issue with your drivers, I've seen programs that allow you to control your fan speed, you can keep it at a certain speed if it doesn't want to on auto. I bet I have one, if you need it, I'll send it to you. you could try the program I suggested, record your idle temps, then what they peak at when under high stress. Then let us know the results.

Ass # 2

FTFY.

As he stated, the computer crashes during gaming.

- If it was HDD, the computer would be slower than normal or lock up randomly, not just during a game.
- If it was RAM, it would do the same thing, or even reboot or BSOD, not just during a game.
- KEY: It happens during a video game.
- This leads to two answers, video drivers and over-heating. Regardless of any other factors in the computer, because of the symptoms and times this happens.

Btw - if that program is Speedfan. It's been known to cause issues. It sucks. :sarcasm:

Don't be a dick. Poodles had a very good suggestion off the bat. Nvidia DOES have a few driver issues out right now. And that would help both the video/over-heating issue. Do me a favor, be nicer. Otherwise you just look like a fuck-tard.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not to mention he specificly said nvidia and WoW. I run an EVGA card so I get access to Precision and it shows my temp and FPS on the screen during games and I can shut it down or alt-tab and turn the fans up manually. I have VERY good case cooling (Antec Nine Hundred) and my video card usually doesn't go over low 60's under load even at the low default fan speeds.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
shaggyskadude13;1525488 said:
My computer crashes when ever I play games on it. It just lock up and I can move the mouse but if I click it just jumps the clicker to the middle of the screen and it wont even respond to crtl alt dlt. I dont think its overheating because the temp in the room is around 68 degrees right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brent.

Not something good to assume. It could be 20* and still overheat if the situation is right.

shaggyskadude13;1525559 said:
It's a athlon 64 X2 dualcore 6400+ 3.21 Ghz
I've got 4 gigs of ram but because im running on xp it only uses 3.5 of it.
None of it is overlcocked. And as I said before the only game it seems to chash on is WoW. Ive ran many other games more graphics intensive on it with max settings with no problem.

And thanks for the link, I'll try the different drivers.

Wrong, its not b/c its XP, it's because its a 32 bit OS. A 64bit OS will allow you to see all of your memory but its not worth it. Also, your system will actually 'see' 4GB, its just that the other 512MB is being dedicated to your graphics card memory and therefore leaves 512MB of unusable system RAM.

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
shaggyskadude13;1525488 said:

Thanks, Brent.

I went off of this, which no where states what card he is using. How did you know poodles?

Nghty89;1525603 said:
FTFY.

As he stated, the computer crashes during gaming.

- If it was HDD, the computer would be slower than normal or lock up randomly, not just during a game.
- If it was RAM, it would do the same thing, or even reboot or BSOD, not just during a game.
- KEY: It happens during a video game.
- This leads to two answers, video drivers and over-heating. Regardless of any other factors in the computer, because of the symptoms and times this happens.

Btw - if that program is Speedfan. It's been known to cause issues. It sucks. :sarcasm:

Don't be a dick. Poodles had a very good suggestion off the bat. Nvidia DOES have a few driver issues out right now. And that would help both the video/over-heating issue. Do me a favor, be nicer. Otherwise you just look like a fuck-tard.

Which he posted before anyone knew what card he was running somehow. Be nicer?
"ding ding ding, read the link I posted"
Just overflowing with kindness aren't we.

The OP didn't tell us any more details on what was happening either. He could have other problems as well that are linked to the same issue. You are all assuming that wow locking up is his only issue. Either that or you all know something that isn't stated in his first post.

And by the way
Unskilled + Ass= Ass
Skilled + Ass = Skilled Asshole
The difference is acting like an ass is acting like a ass.
I've been building/fixing/selling computers for the last 11 years. I won't be talked to like an idiot from anyone, especially from those who know practically nothing about me.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Athena;1525884 said:
I went off of this, which no where states what card he is using. How did you know poodles?

Poodles made a very good assumption.

Which he posted before anyone knew what card he was running somehow. Be nicer? <------------------------- He posted he had an Nvidia 8800gt. Which poodles then made the following comment to.
"ding ding ding, read the link I posted"

Just overflowing with kindness aren't we. Who says he was being a dick?

The OP didn't tell us any more details on what was happening either. He could have other problems as well that are linked to the same issue. You are all assuming that wow locking up is his only issue. Either that or you all know something that isn't stated in his first post. If someone tells me their shit is purple and nothing else... that's all I have to go on. Need I say more?

And by the way
Unskilled + Ass= Ass
Skilled + Ass = Skilled Asshole who doesn't think you have a leg to stand on in this argument
The difference is acting like an ass and acting like a ass who is intelligent.
I've been building/fixing/selling computers for the last 11 years. I won't be talked to like an idiot from anyone, especially from those who know practically nothing about me.
What a small world. Join the crowd. (IT, that is :naughty:)

Oh don't get all but hurt. Poodles is known to be sarcastic. Who says he was being an ass in the first post? Plus, the most common cards are NVidia. It was a valid assumption.

I was basing my answer on the OP's first post. During a video game. Freezing. Considering he gave me no other info, MOST LIKELY VIDEO CARD RELATED. If he comes forth with other information that gives me a better idea, then my answer will get better as well.

I posted that simply because you acted like a douche first (Yes, two douches = one box of Summer's Eve). Like I said, reading a sentence does not mean you get the full intended gist. After re-reading both of his posts, neither of them were hurtful or mean in any way. Where-as you, mister 61 posts, jumped in and called him an ass. Hence, I say BE NICE. Otherwise I bring out the size 30 boot. :naughty:

I don't need to know anything about you to read your post and think "Dick..."

Yes. I'm ranting. Oh well. :biglaugh: So now do you see why I said be nice? I'm only backing up my arguement with valid statements.

**ADDING TO THIS VIA EDIT**
Seriously though, calm down. I could really care less, other than the fact that it was uncalled for in the beginning. I was not talking to you like an idiot, I was backing up my statements and opinions with factual information from the thread itself. If you took that the wrong way, and still do after this post, then maybe you should take a break. Computers and cars mixed can drive one nuts.

Sorry OP, didn't mean to thread jack. Please let us know if the drivers solved the issue. By the way, check out RealTemp. A simple program that will tell you your cpu and gpu temps. I use it on my 8800gt OC. Gotta love nvidia! :love: Then again, you run an AMD processor, so at least you'll see your gpu temps.

shaggyskadude13

AAARRRGGGHH!!!!!
May 16, 2007
Rockledge, Florida
Well I changed the drivers and its still crashing on me. The only other game I've had trouble with is Battlefield 2142. I'm thinking it might be a card problem too from what friends have said. I'd buy a new card but the only problem is I can't find one because my motherboard is pci-e 1.0 and I don't thik the new 2.0 cards are backwards compatable.

IwantMKIII;1525872 said:
Wrong, its not b/c its XP, it's because its a 32 bit OS. A 64bit OS will allow you to see all of your memory but its not worth it. Also, your system will actually 'see' 4GB, its just that the other 512MB is being dedicated to your graphics card memory and therefore leaves 512MB of unusable system RAM.
Thats what I meant I just left it out because I dont know too many people with xp 64bit.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
shaggyskadude13;1527057 said:
Well I changed the drivers and its still crashing on me. The only other game I've had trouble with is Battlefield 2142. I'm thinking it might be a card problem too from what friends have said. I'd buy a new card but the only problem is I can't find one because my motherboard is pci-e 1.0 and I don't thik the new 2.0 cards are backwards compatable.

Thats what I meant I just left it out because I dont know too many people with xp 64bit.

2.0 is backwards compatible, so no worries there. I can't believe an 8800gt would fail on those two games. Not much of a difference between the OC and regular and mine runs MW2, NFS Undercover, BC2, etc without any trouble. The only game that has stretched it so far is Crysis on ultra high.

Maybe you have dust build-up in the card? (follow poodles' advice and clean it out) Did you download Realtemp yet to check your GPU temperatures after playing said games? It may just be a fault in the card. Happens with electronics a lot. That appears to be the only issue in your hardware list that might be causing this. Although without running memtest or a drive fitness test, it would be hard to further pin point it.

Do me a favor, http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ <--- download this and play the games. check your gpu temp during the game by alt+tabbing back to windows. If it's over 80C, then that would be the most likely cause.

I recently had the same trouble, but it was my Quad core instead of the video card. The thermal paste had finally gotten nasty enough to stop working and my games were shutting down. I then found out via this program that I was running at 100C mid-game on the processor. Took apart the entire system, put it back together with new thermal paste, and now she doesn't go over 58C mid-game and the video card never goes over 78C. All on air cooling, so it's not that great.

By the way - a 64 bit OS is definitely worth it. Get Windows 7 64-bit and make sure you have at least 6gb's of RAM. You'll love it. It flies!

shaggyskadude13

AAARRRGGGHH!!!!!
May 16, 2007
Rockledge, Florida
So your saying I can buy a 2.0 card and it will work just fine if I stick it in a 1.0 motherboard slot? And the rig is 2 years old now so the thermal paste might be an issue where would I but more at? I also cleaned it about a month ago thinking that might be the issue.

I just tried that real temp program and it said my processor was not supported, any other programs out there I could use to check it?

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
shaggyskadude13;1527142 said:
So your saying I can buy a 2.0 card and it will work just fine if I stick it in a 1.0 motherboard slot? And the rig is 2 years old now so the thermal paste might be an issue where would I but more at? I also cleaned it about a month ago thinking that might be the issue.

I just tried that real temp program and it said my processor was not supported, any other programs out there I could use to check it?

Yes, 2.0 will work on a 1.0 board, and vice versa. You just won't get the better capability when mis-matching.

You can get thermal paste from any store that sells computers, but if none locally carry it then just order some from tigerdirect or newegg. The thermal paste is only necessary for the processor, but can be used on a video card too.

I mentioned Realtemp would not support your processor, but I was mainly having you use it for the GPU temps. As for the processor temps on AMD, you can use -> http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Great program! You can also use this awesome program -> http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php