Compression Test

daught

Oct 5, 2007
Oakville
I just did a compression test today. My book says the compression should build up quickly. What is quickly? How many strokes?

Also how important is for the engine to be at operating temp? I rather not work on a hot engine...

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
compression should build up after 3-4 revolutions, once the gauge on the needle stops jumping. also, the throttle should be held wide open and the EFI fuse pulled while performing the test.

doing the test on a warm engine gives the most accurate results. a cold engine will give you lower numbers.

what were your numbers??

daught

Oct 5, 2007
Oakville
88mkIIIproject;1124394 said:
compression should build up after 3-4 revolutions, once the gauge on the needle stops jumping. also, the throttle should be held wide open and the EFI fuse pulled while performing the test.

doing the test on a warm engine gives the most accurate results. a cold engine will give you lower numbers.

what were your numbers??

Well I only got to do one piston. My friend who was supposed to crank had to leave :3d_frown: On a cold engine I got 150 after 4 revolutions. I will do the rest of them tomorrow but 150 on the first looks encouraging.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
daught;1124440 said:
Well I only got to do one piston. My friend who was supposed to crank had to leave :3d_frown: On a cold engine I got 150 after 4 revolutions. I will do the rest of them tomorrow but 150 on the first looks encouraging.

yea 150 is very encouraging, especially on a cold engine!

it looks like 156 or higher is ideal on a warm engine, and 128 is the minimum.

check out the TSRM:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=20

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I did it on my turbo and just wore some "mechanix" gloves and it wasn't a problem with the heat.

The compression results on the other hand were problematic... lol.

Still need to test the NA. Might do that this week...