Compression stroke/How to adjust cps?

TooRandom

Jun 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
How to you find the compression stroke? I've tried to start my car with both sides and still no start. So i figured it was my cps. also does anyone know how to adjust the cps? I consulted the tsrm and it didn't help. I lined up the drill hole to the notch. I'Ve also tried adjusting it up and down and still no start.

TooRandom

Jun 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
Well i've done that. If you turn it once 360degrees around it'll be at tdc and when you do another 360 it becomes the opposite with the marks at 180. But i don't know what side is the compression stroke. Thats what i'm having trouble with. I've tried both sides and it doesn't start.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Poodles;1122859 said:
or you can pull the timing cover...

I pull the cover to be exact, uh also I usually do all that before the motor is in, but if you do it with it in, that's fine too I had to go to a friend house the other day and do it for him, thank god I remembered off the top of my head to do it... lol

TooRandom

Jun 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
So what you're saying that if the cam lobe point is facing upwards so i can see it and the crank is at 0 degrees it'll be at tdc on the compression stroke? Or i put the cps in when the lobe is up?

TooRandom

Jun 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
So what you're saying that if the cam lobe point is facing upwards so i can see it and the crank is at 0 degrees it'll be at tdc on the compression stroke? Or i put the cps in when the lobe is up?

test pilot

Developing video games
Jul 3, 2005
Eugene, OR
I also hate to hijack this thread but when i look through the oil filler port the nose of the cam lobe is behind the shelf, unlike the drawing in the TSRM. Any ideas?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Take out the #1 spark plug, insert 1 foot long small diameter wooden dowel in hole, turn crank damper until wooden dowel is at max height. You are now at TDC. Cam pulley index should be a "zero"...crank damper index should be at "zero".

Installed correctly, the CPS should look like this:

test pilot

Developing video games
Jul 3, 2005
Eugene, OR
Thank you, JDub. All looks right but still runs like crap. I will keep looking it over and see if i missed a vac. hose somewhere. So much to remember on this car.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
You still have to set timing after doing this! Just base timing here :)

For the initial drive, I turned the CPS by 'feel' (where the engine starts sounding like it should), Drive until you get to full operating temp, jumper the diag box, then set timing with a timing light

test pilot

Developing video games
Jul 3, 2005
Eugene, OR
i'd love to if it didn't stall when i depress the accellerator. I calibrated the TPS already, just checked all my hoses.