Comprehensive Lighting Modification Thread

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Koenigturbo;1202551 said:
I may have missed it some where, I'm trying to find out how to replace the bulb in the exterior key ring, where the write up for that?? There's white rectangle piece on the cylinder but, does it come out that way or does it come out the front?
Let me guess, ..the front.

"Noober"
I haven't tackled that yet, but when I do, you can bet there'll be a good writeup for it. :)

Doward;1202563 said:
CRE, where did you get festoon mounts?
nerfkhat;1202590 said:
Hey Doward you can get them from autolumination. They cost about 2.50.Look at the very bottom of the page.

http://autolumination.com/festoon.htm
Or you can get these for half that...
f_sockets.jpg

Available at superbrightled.com at the Bottom of this page.
Koenigturbo;1202548 said:
Did you ever figure out what, size or part number for the vanity mirror, Dash bottons, and exterior key ring?? In your thread you didn't have these numbers in bold. Those were the ones' you weren't sure of.

Dash buttons are 12V incandescent and there is no drop in LED replacement that I know of. I wrote up how to replace those last night, though. ;)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Got them with a slot for a screw from ebay for $1.45/each ;)

Though have you seen the ultra-bright 60 lumen festoon bulbs from superbrightleds.com? $15/each, but they look like they should be bright as hell!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Updated with dimmer info.

I still want to do the headlight rewire/h4 conversion and install projector fogs (or at least better fogs) so stay tuned for that.

I'll also be wiring in a viper alarm system soon so the progress may, as always, be slow.

Hope everyone is finding this somewhat useful!! :)

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
In for the headlight information, I haven't found a good thread about them yet.

I just swapped in one of the original headlights (too cold to do both, screw that) because I was getting frustrated with the crappy tinted blue ones. Come to find out the highbeam doesn't work on it...

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Hey supra rx nut,

hey,pal, hey buddie, hey dude, Did you ever find out how to change the exterior key ring light?
Also in your thread, did you ever get the number and type of bulbs that you weren't sure of?(some numbers were left blank). Did you get that updated as far as bulb (part) number and how many?? I'm ready to order

Thanks!!!!!!!!1

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Koenigturbo;1232645 said:
Hey supra rx nut,

hey,pal, hey buddie, hey dude, Did you ever find out how to change the exterior key ring light?
Also in your thread, did you ever get the number and type of bulbs that you weren't sure of?(some numbers were left blank). Did you get that updated as far as bulb (part) number and how many?? I'm ready to order

Thanks!!!!!!!!1

I haven't tried to do the exterior key ring yet, but I'd bet it's a 12V incandescent and would require the same thing I did for the dash buttons. ;)

All bulb types I am sure of/have experience with are listed in post #1 about 2/3 down.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
suprarx7nut;1232794 said:
I haven't tried to do the exterior key ring yet, but I'd bet it's a 12V incandescent and would require the same thing I did for the dash buttons. ;)

All bulb types I am sure of/have experience with are listed in post #1 about 2/3 down.

SWEEEEET!!!!:aigo:

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
here is somewhat, what i finished for my gauge, there is still very little things i have to finish, i repainted the needles red, but i have to find a source to get the needle to be a lot brighter and i did wire it to the dimmer switch still got little bugs to worked out

p1234984_1.jpg

just finished redoing my climate control and i must say it looks a lot better

p1234984_2.jpg

Last edited:

dogdrake

Oct 25, 2008
Gadsden Alabama
Facime;1085521 said:
Bulb condoms and colored glass bulbs are also usable for changing lighting setups. I have found red bulb condoms in factory gauges at the pick a parts, but I cant tell you which models use em off the top of my head. Colored glass bulbs and some LED's now as well are available at autozone.

pontiac is uses red bulbs it would have to be an older car though the new ones use the smt leds.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
has anyone used the superbrightled #74's with the SMD instead of the basic led? wondering if this would get rid of the dim oil gauge problem or lead to a massive hotspot in the oil gauge/ignition key ring.

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Im tryin to do the CC in my car as well.. but can't seem to find the right bulbs on superbrightled... i don't see where the 29-T1 number is at... Haven't slept much lately, maybe I just can't read right today lol.. thanks for the help in advance.

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
nsngarage;1593729 said:
Im tryin to do the CC in my car as well.. but can't seem to find the right bulbs on superbrightled... i don't see where the 29-T1 number is at... Haven't slept much lately, maybe I just can't read right today lol.. thanks for the help in advance.

Lawl...He said you need 29 T1 3MM bulbs.
29 is the quantity.
T1-3MM Is the type and size of LED.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
modmonster2008;1647985 said:
Might be a bump for an old thread, but this is how the white backlit gauges with red needles would look on a pre-89 :)

That actually looks great - really makes the dash look a lot more modern.

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
So... these are the lights i'm looking at putting in. Some confirmation would be GREATLY appreciated that these will work.

The CC LED's are Blue 3mm 3.0-3.2v 3000mcd 3.0-3.2v (so they dont blind me) for direct desolder and resolder.
I wanna use these for the button backlight and i wanna use RED with the exact same specs for the indicators and ^ arrow on the temp adjuster.
so will these work?

For the gauge backlight i figured these LED's would provide a better spread of light and not be so focused... thus less hot spots. Please correct me if i'm wrong
12v 5-LED #194 Blue SMD (surface.mounted.diode)

So summed up... WILL THESE WORK? Will i need to use any resistors for the CC LED's i have posted for buttons or indicators, if so which resistor would be preferable so they aren't blinding.