compound turbo piping and sizes for 7m,1jz,2jz

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
So what do turbo cars have? LAAAAAAAG well ive been very interested in mocking up a compound turbo setup to use a small and large turbo. But im lost on the pipe diameters to use and the sizing of turbos to respond with one another. like a 45mm to a 80mm turbo and what size wastagates and how about blocking the small turbo to feed the larger? Goal would be to have a 500-600hp compound turbo 2.5-3.0 liter I6 which instantly goes full boost....

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Or... you know... use a proper size turbo for the power output you want?

On topic though, while I love the compound idea, there are two small problems with it:

-Room to put stuff, you don't have much (Seth of Sleeper Designs did a 7m compound setup, which leads me to my next point...)

-Everything that the low end torque has a tendency of breaking.

Figure those two things out and how to tune it, and you have a stump pulling bottom end with top end traditional Supra power. :D

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
TBH If you're already having trouble figuring out the pipe diameter I wouldn't begin to attempt making your own compound setup. It would end up being a huge waste of time and cash you could invest elsewhere in the car. Like buying one of...

hvyman;1865805 said:
Could always use a quick spool valve.
^These. As RIDICULOUSLY overpriced as that butterfly valve attached to an exhaust flange is you can't argue with the results.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Canuckrz;1866032 said:
TBH If you're already having trouble figuring out the pipe diameter I wouldn't begin to attempt making your own compound setup. It would end up being a huge waste of time and cash you could invest elsewhere in the car. Like buying one of...

^These. As RIDICULOUSLY overpriced as that butterfly valve attached to an exhaust flange is you can't argue with the results.

This guy knows whats up. It looks like it's cheap and can be replicated inexpensively, but the SP QSV is designed to handle all sorts of use and abuse, and it gives you incredible results. At first, I was reluctant, but tekdeus had one on his car and it has been gaining popularity. I'm sold on it and will be getting one for myself in the future.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
1986.5supra_kid;1866954 said:
Nice find. Really like the guy at the end of the video who just sits on someone's Ford GT... hope that was his car! :p

Seriously though, I love the idea, and the more I look into it, the more it just screams "great idea", but still... I dunno.

hvyman;1867000 said:
1 how much money do you have?

2 do you know how to tig?

3 do you have access to a tig?
4 - How big is your swap hammer, and...

5- How much free time do you have?

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
well money IS NOT a problem, time IS.... im still earlier in my build, just done a quick rebuild on a 2jzNA and drilled and tapped 2 oil ports on passanger side. 2.5mm mhg, and plans to get aem v2 or v1 and all the other aem,greddy sensors/actuators. just wanna beat a built v8 or bigger from a dig with out nitrous. then be able to turn it back for economy.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
phatbimmer;1867503 said:
Why don't you try using a holset he351vgt? Thats my plan and no need to do all this complicated tubing and what not.
Certainly another option. Probably easiest in the long run, but IIRC Limequat was having a good bit of fun trying to make one work (tuning wise) on his 4.2L...

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
gt2027 from the sprinter vans is on a diesel 3.0L of one of my friends cars and i was just talking with him about the vnt turbos and from what i understand he has some sort of linkage too the injection pump and the turbo and it self adjusts with the bowden cable?! I became lost in the details..... :( so how are the vanes adjusted? i thought it was done by an pneumatic actuator with positive pressure or negative pressure?

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
If money isn't a concern why not go the simplest route and get a quick spool valve, and a nice divided T4? Not that using the adjustable vanes isn't cool, but its certainly not the easiest and most reliable way. Not to mention that whatever turbo you would be getting would be originally intended for a diesel, not that this is terrible but its not the most ideal thing either especially if money isn't an option.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
[video=youtube;_KNLKVgg8po]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KNLKVgg8po[/video]
[video=youtube;I6ZCOTFET6s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ZCOTFET6s&feature=related[/video]