Component Installs

5upra

Jun 4, 2009
San Diego
rexxx_2.jpg

figured a mount in these slim panels was going to be out of my league with these, so i opted for a different approach, as you see here is the result of last weekend. two successful back seat mounts. speakers are wired to the set in the rears. i also mounted the tweeters in place of the side rears. the speakers sound okay from the front while the seats are folded down. i hardly carry passengers in the back, so this worked for me. they still fold up and lock in fine too.

right now my tweeters are still in place, just disconnected as i was not able to hook up the crossovers in which case they were at risk of blowing. now, to me, it is a mystery to how these crossovers are to be installed... do i need an amp?

right now, i do with only two pairs of speakers (front stage - rears). for best situation is it recommended that i have three pairs? i did notice a difference without a 3rd pair, but these 6.5 components made up for for the lack.

i'm sure these (RE xxx 6.5)'s should sound a hell of a lot better @ 300W peak/150 rms, if they were hooked up correctly (amp? crossover/tweeters). but unfortunately, do not get it. my knowledge at this point is as far as it has gotten me. but . i am willing to spend 300-400 to finish properly..

was also thinking about adding in a sub to these..hmmm

rexxx_1.jpg

Last edited:

romaniello

Oct 28, 2005
Sanford, FL
I don't see the point; sound should come from the front, not the back.
It will work much better if you put them in the front doors and add that sub you want in the back.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
In my own supra I ended up just buying some 6x9 boxes, running wires under the carpet in the back, and have them "loose". they fit PERFECTLY under the targa if I wanted to put that in the back still, and if I felt like track driving, I took them out nice and easy.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
romaniello;1360107 said:
I don't see the point; sound should come from the front, not the back.
It will work much better if you put them in the front doors and add that sub you want in the back.

umm the frequency of a subwoofers are unidirectional given thier length.

5upra

those speakers will not sound very good there as you really need to calculate the volume needed for the speakers to sound good especially on the lower end scale.

romaniello

Oct 28, 2005
Sanford, FL
figgie;1360910 said:

No argument there, except these are not subs, these are components and he's using them as such thus biasing the stage to the rear of the car.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
figgie;1360910 said:

5upra

those speakers will not sound very good there as you really need to calculate the volume needed for the speakers to sound good especially on the lower end scale.

This makes no sense... What length? Wavelength? They are still directional. Placement, aiming, and timing all have a huge role in the over all sound of the sound of the system.

Im going to have to back 5upra up here. I have the same components, and if you all would see the size of them, you would understand why he installed them where they are. Is it the best location? NO. But what choice does he have. The mid ranges are over sized (6.75") and the mounting depth isn just shy of 4". So they dont even come close to fitting in the stock doors, they are WAY too deep, and much too large in diameter.

Im working on making a diagram to sell that anyone will be able to use to cut out MDF and make a new bracket for the door panel to allow the use of larger 6.5" speakers, or just improve the sound of an exhisting speaker.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Yeah these speakers are way too nice to install like that!!! Figgie is right that they have to placed in a proper environment to sound their best, otherwise, for this kind of install any speaker will do really. Figuratively speaking, a motec computer isnt worth a damn without a proper tune for a specific car, its just a metal box. The same goes for these speakers. And subwoofer waive pattern is non directional ( water ripple type) you cant place the origin of the sound in the car. Nevertheless, as Pbasil pointed out these waives do bounce of the cars interior and their arrival in front of the car for imaging is possible to manipulate. Just like the vibration from the hovering helicopter are difficult to locate because it seems that they spead all over, the sound from a singing bird is easy to locate and turn your head almost directly towards the source of the sound. Can you always tell from which car in traffic all that annoying subwoofer boom is coming from?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
pbasil1;1361842 said:
This makes no sense... What length? Wavelength? They are still directional. Placement, aiming, and timing all have a huge role in the over all sound of the sound of the system.

what do you mean what length? The length of the twins stadium?!?!? Of course wave length!!! Subs are not that critical of placement in a Tinnie-tiny car audio environment considering that at 45hz, the wave length is about 25 feet, UNIDIRECTIONAL for all intents and purposes in a car environment. The signal starts to be some what locatable in the mid range and highest of frequencies being the most critical to placement. Of course the ole grey matter can be tricked by some psyco-acoustics trickery. That is why most systems can infact put subs anywhere in the car and when they are tamed of their nasty dips and peaks, produce sound like if they are part of the front sound stage ;)

that little fact was known in the IASCA pro audio competition (where I learned all this stuff btw ;) ) As a judge it was intresting to see the trickery used to offset time domain diffrences between lots of speakers. From electrical gadgetry (which only sounded good on one side) to system with a great foundation (2ms measured time domain difference between left and right which for a car, that is near perfect).