cold start issues

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
Ok so i got this friend who im helping with his car, he had came over and i did a compression check for him
3.112,110,110 "oil on spark plug threads"
the numbers were low at the beginning but he also has if i recall 165k miles and the head gasket was done last summer

the reason why we did the check was because he was having over heating issues after long drives, its said that there wasn't any thermostat in it. So i told him just to get a flush done and to get a thermostat, and to make sure he burps the system. the cap looks new.

and after we were done he noticed that the car was idling lower than usual, his usual was i guess 1k rpm but now its at 650 rpm where it should be " literally just did a standard compression test nothing else", while he was driving back home his car just randomly died on him, he called me to ask what to do, I just told him to go ahead and try starting again and it started up and he made it home

I also noted that his antilock light was on and Tems werent working, i sent him a message after looking at the TSRM to check his ECU-IG fuse, it ended up that was his problem for those

the next day he called me to tell me it wasn't starting, so I drove to his house to take a look and it would start and run for about 1 second then just die, so i gave it throttle held it and tried to start it and it would run while on the throttle, i held it at 1k rpm then i let go and it just died again, so i did it again for about couple minutes let off and it held itself at 650Rpm again. It didnt sound like it was missing but there is a tiny little baby pup miss i guess but nothing unusual.

so question is. what do you think could be the cause of it, im placing my bets on cold start injector or timing.

the only mods he had is a cat back exhaust, which he says is crushed to a square shape. other than that its all stock looking to me. and the driver side of the anti-roll bar is disconnected "broke"

the reason im posting this now is because he just sent me a message today saying "it doesnt like mornings" lol so it did the same thing as yesterday and didnt want to start, i just told him to do the same deal hold it at 1000Rpm for a couple minutes, that seems to be the only way it to work for him.

Last edited:

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
There so much thing that could be wrong, seriously, you might want to head over to the TSRM website and start troubleshooting according to toyota's chart.
any CEL code?
iscv ok?
vacuum leak?
timing ok?