cold start injector permanant removal...

kracin

Sleeper
Apr 1, 2007
aiea hawaii
well, i was wondering if there was anything special needed besides a plug in the original spot in the manifold needed in order to remove the cold start injector? do 2 wires need to be grounded on the harness plug to prevent a code from being thrown?

input would be helpful from guys who have done it for different manifold installs and high hp applications.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Are you running a standalone? I guess not if you are worried about codes.
I forgot to plug in my CSI once and the car would barely run when cold, didnt throw any codes, just ran like ass.

The engine needs this added fuel when cold (like a choke on a carburetor). Just unplug it and see what you are up against by removing it ;)
Unless you have someway of tuning in more fuel when cold, but you would probably need to be running a standalone to do so....

kracin

Sleeper
Apr 1, 2007
aiea hawaii
jimi87-t;1302473 said:
I forgot to plug in my CSI once and the car would barely run when cold, didnt throw any codes, just ran like ass.

The engine needs this added fuel when cold (like a choke on a carburetor). Just unplug it and see what you are up against by removing it ;)
Unless you have someway of tuning in more fuel when cold, but you would probably need to be running a standalone to do so....

maft pro on speed density... so itll be running closed loop until WOT

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
jimi87-t;1302473 said:

It wasn't because of the CSI your car ran like crap cold...the CSI only operates during engine cranking (starter engaged, STA active). The time switch limits the amount of fuel delivered by the CSI during start to prevent flooding. It's sole purpose is to add additional fuel to get the engine cranked cold. Once started, the CSI is inactive.

There is no code associated with the CSI.

Operation of the CSI is based on coolant temp. In a warm climate, the motor may be slightly harder to start. More likely, you will not even notice it's gone. Cold climate, different story...you need it.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Thanks for the info jdub. I wonder what it was then, once I plugged it back in it ran fine (only ran for < min unplugged) and it was the only time it happened.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Got me on that one...could be several things. (ISCV, ECU temp sensor, FP regulator). I can say with 100&#37; accuracy it was not the CSI once the engine was running.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
He's right jimi. Stops working the moment the key is released from start. Has to, there's no other source of power for it.

OP: All you need to do is plug the manifold and fuel supply. Leave the wires floating (grounding them would be bad)...the ECU knows not about the injector.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Oh believe me, I trust what both of you guys say!
It was the first start after the rebuild, (about 3 years ago), could have been air in fuel system or something of the sort..I have no clue, but at least now I know it wasn't the CSI ;)

kracin

Sleeper
Apr 1, 2007
aiea hawaii
awesome, thanks for the info. good to know that i could safely eliminate it and just use a fuel pressure gauge instead, but if i ever have to put it back on i do have a spot for it on my FFIM, just prefer to not spend the money right now on braided steel lines and fittings to get it hooked up when theres no need for where i live right now. hawaii and cold temps... not happening unless i try to cold start my car at 3am on the north shore lol