Coilovers..

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I wouldn't recommend Ksport if you want the car to handle well. The valving on them just isn't the best.

As far as what to recommend, it depends on what your budget is and what you want do to with the car. So a little more info would help.

Tim

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
i know i already asked some questions on suspension but i came across these cusco zero coilovers on the forum for sale for 800 bucks and wondering if they are a good deal?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Ben, I don't know too much about the Cuscos.

Boris, I've driven on HA's on an MKIV on the road course. They weren't bad, but there was a lot of room for improvement. But for mainly street use and some light track duty, they should be fine.

Vic, meet Ben. As long as they aren't blown, that sounds like a good price for Cuscos, I'm pretty sure they're a lot more new. But like I said, I don't have much experience with them, so I can't say how the valving is.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
#1StunnaVic;887606 said:
i know i already asked some questions on suspension but i came across these cusco zero coilovers on the forum for sale for 800 bucks and wondering if they are a good deal?

TurboFreak;887597 said:
I heard Cusco's were good.... :)

(I'm selling my Cusco's for 800 shipped)

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
I'm the one selling the Cusco's.

They have about 5 to 10k on them and are in perfect working condition. They sell for at least $1500 new.

I've been a member for awhile now and many people can vouch for me.

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
hey yea im not really thinkin about money cause i just want to know wat the best route to take is... i want the car to be a daily driver but also i would like to maybe do road racing/ circuit racing...wat do u think is best...and if not coilover would i be better suited buying springs and struts seperately???

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
[guys: all posts in ALL SME forums are moderated. ;) you have to wait until your post is approved by the forum SME before you will see it. ;))

that being said, i'll let tim deal with approving them, as it's his forum.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
rcboricua07;888039 said:
hey yea im not really thinkin about money cause i just want to know wat the best route to take is... i want the car to be a daily driver but also i would like to maybe do road racing/ circuit racing...wat do u think is best...and if not coilover would i be better suited buying springs and struts seperately???

You're going to need to make some compromises if you want the same suspension to be used on a daily driver as on a car that will do some road racing. So you would have to determine what your NVH limits are for daily driving and then pick something that you can live with on the street and that could still do well on the road course.

There are a lot of options out there for the car. I am a fan of bilsteins and have developed some bilstein based setups for this car. I won't go into it here, but I have made threads on other sections about my suspension or there's some info on my website. I like them because there is more freedom with the valving. I haven't been very happy with a lot of the JDM or other Asian brands of dampers. I haven't tested as many on the supra, but I have driven on a lot of setups on 240s and they all seem to exhibit similar traits of non-ideal valving. And with my experience with a couple different supra setups, it seems to hold true.

shaeff;888252 said:
[guys: all posts in ALL SME forums are moderated. ;) you have to wait until your post is approved by the forum SME before you will see it. ;))

that being said, i'll let tim deal with approving them, as it's his forum.

Thanks Chris.

thejrman;888911 said:
have u heard anything about stance coil overs

I've heard of stance, I don't have that much experience with them, but they seem to be one of the better entry level dampers at least in the 240 world. But I don't know how they are on the Supra, they could've just done more development on the 240 ones and just used generic valving on the supra ones or they could've done some work on the supra ones.

Tim

88supraFAST1

7M WHAT
Feb 8, 2006
Battle Ground, Wa
hey guys im going to bring this topic back up. I have the HSD HT Type Coilovers with remote res and i freaking love them, my shop and a 240sx with the little brother set up and there freaking insane, we also have a guy running around with the non res setup in his MX-6 with some toyo RA-1's shaved down for the track let me tell you from personally being in the car the thing handles like no other car i have felt.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Tim, what about the best streetable coilovers. I'm looking for something I can slam and raise, do some long distance driving occasionally, straight line racing ( Of course I will swap it out for serious dragging with stock ), casual autocrossing, and casual road course racing. Is there anything you would think would be some what well rounded for all these options? If not its very understandable, I just have so many thing I want to do. I'm not looking to win any prizes in any of these with my next setup.

mk3 bamf

The Red Dragon
Jan 31, 2007
washington
A buddy of mine says:

"Megan Racing is an alright choice, mainly for auto cross stuff but not much more. Cusco on the other hand is some of the best as an option. they are built like a freakin' rock and are vehicle specific and calibrated to the specific fuction."

please feel free to "correct if wrong" he says. but his personal opinion based on what MANY others have said and the research he's done.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
SupraOfDoom;929574 said:
Tim, what about the best streetable coilovers. I'm looking for something I can slam and raise, do some long distance driving occasionally, straight line racing ( Of course I will swap it out for serious dragging with stock ), casual autocrossing, and casual road course racing. Is there anything you would think would be some what well rounded for all these options? If not its very understandable, I just have so many thing I want to do. I'm not looking to win any prizes in any of these with my next setup.

You're asking for a lot out of a suspension with everything you want to do. But something can be made to work with compromises. I don't think there's anything off the shelf and under $3k that I would buy and be happy with for everything you want to do. A lot of people with coilovers will accept the crappy ride because they think that it is how coilovers are supposed to feel, but they're wrong. A lot of the asian coilovers ride harsh which is very different than riding stiff. You're going to have a stiffer ride whenever you increase spring rates and valving, but harshness is different. If you compare my TIP Motorsports setup versus pretty much any of the asian brands you could feel the difference. My setup rides stiffer, but does not feel harsh.

But if you want something else, you might have to accept a worse ride quality for the other aspects you want. I wish there were better options out there, but if there were I wouldn't have designed my setup.

Other things you could do that would get you what you want besides being able to slam the car would be a setup using off the shelf Bilstein or Koni dampers with springs rates matched to the car and dampers. Due to the way the dampers are out of the box, you won't be able to go as low as with other setups, but you will be able to get good performance out of them.

mk3 bamf;932753 said:
A buddy of mine says:

"Megan Racing is an alright choice, mainly for auto cross stuff but not much more. Cusco on the other hand is some of the best as an option. they are built like a freakin' rock and are vehicle specific and calibrated to the specific fuction."

please feel free to "correct if wrong" he says. but his personal opinion based on what MANY others have said and the research he's done.

I've already said everything I want to about Megans. As for Cusco, I don't have much experience with their expensive stuff, but their more affordable stuff seems like its pretty similar to every other JDM coilover in that price range. And with their expensive stuff, if you're going to spend that much already, why not step up to something even better.