Coilover

peytoncoyote

Aug 5, 2012
Lemoore, CA
OKay, I know this was brought up about a few years ago,but since Tokico isn't going to be building and shocks for our cars for awhile I am going with Coil overs. What are your guys opinions on the different brands, I haven't messed with coil overs before so I would like some feed back.

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
I've been searching a bit and can't figure out how to look up the Pbm stuff online, anybody have a basic price on their stuff?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
from what I've heard KW makes the best coilovers in terms of ride quality (and handling) not sure if you can get these on the mkiii, haven't checked, the one's I'm talking about were on a mkiv

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
I've had some troubles getting Tokicos for a while now; lots of places say either discontinued or "indefinite wait list".

I've never really heard anything bad about KW, but I dont think they make Mk3 ones. I see lots of guys that dump money into their cars have opted for Teins over the years. I have a set on my DD and quite like them, but it's all subjective.

If you need an inexpensive option, the KYB strut combo with a set of springs really isnt a bad choice

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
yeah, I felt like they didn't make them :( I'm going to give the bilsteins a shot w/ rsr springs... just need to find a hardtop. my targa is so heavy suspension work would just be a waste... at least that's how I feel

on a side note I've read that my springs are so stiff (race rsr) that they'll demolish the upper strut mounts so pillow-ball mounts are a requirement, so by the time I acquire everything it'd be about the same as buying a set of coilovers (price-wise) $370 just for mounts ~400 for shocks and $200 for springs

don't think I haven't thought it over though... I have a feeling I'm'll love this setup... also don't feel that I want/need coilovers

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
Megan EZ Street coilovers w/ mounts can be had for $650 shipped to your door anywhere in the U.S.

I rode around in two other MK3's with these installed before I bought mine and they were about as stiff as a regular spring/strut combo, but you have 16 levels of adjustment to that depending on your preference. I have had Eibach/Illumina 2's, ST Springs w/ KYB, and Eibach w/ Intrax as well and these are far better than any of those combinations and really don't cost much more considering you get new mounts as well.

Atlas

You call this a sandwich?
Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
Koni Yellows are still available for the mkiii AFAIK. I autocross my supra and am riding on the standard eibach/tokico blue setup. Its meh, ok for STX. I really haven't come across a good performing coilover setup for our platform aside from the rare bilstein setup. Japanese and the new wave of "tuner" coilovers will more than suffice for daily duties and slamming the car, but aside from that, you could get a better performing setup with Koni yellows, H&R sport springs and a good alignment.

KW suspension is located in Sanger CA, pretty local. Could visit them and see what they could do for you. If not, and you're set on coilovers, Megan seems to becoming very popular. I drove a 240sx with a Megan setup, it wasn't bad.