Coilover users and Racing Supras

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Clint;1852775 said:
I have a set of JIC magics on mine.
...that are plated gold and signed by the pope. ^This guy, he's a bit of a baller. :p

m-dub_817

SupraMania Member
Sep 6, 2009
DFW
Clint;1852775 said:
I have a set of JIC magics on mine.
Which JICs do you have. How long have they been on your car. What do you use them for. Street track a mix a little more info please. Also what's the quality like.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
m-dub_817;1852851 said:
Which JICs do you have. How long have they been on your car. What do you use them for. Street track a mix a little more info please. Also what's the quality like.

I don't remember which JIC's, they are the older JIC Magics though, they have been on my car since 2008, I mainly use my car for cruising, I have no track time on this setup. the quality is great, my first set of coilovers but I have ridden in cars with Mugans and HKS coil overs, and the JICs seem to be in the middle of the mugans and HKS coil overs, they keep the wheels on the ground and the ride is solid.

Supra_Saiyan

Jun 5, 2012
Colorado
I have some Megan Ez Streets for the mk3 and these are very reasonable for price and performance. The damping can be really stiff for light track use on 9-15 settings and if set around 6-7 it would make a comfortable daily driver. Here are some pics

megan ez swap.jpgmail.google.com.jpgmail.google.com.jpg

m-dub_817

SupraMania Member
Sep 6, 2009
DFW
KW's would be fantastic assuming they don't cost an arm and a leg. Otherwise I'm going to get the new JIC ZMS when they come out if they make em for the mk3.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
KWs are ~$2500, and I believe they are remote reservoir for V3.. you pay to play when you want the best. these are actually better than Ohlins and Motons (frequently used by european owners) and some of the other renowned racing suspensions for these cars.

at one of the events I was organizing, I finally had a chance to speak with someone that knows a bunch of the folks that work there, and I'm going to go for sponsorship with them when my car is eventually set up for road racing.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dylan JZ;1855542 said:
KWs are ~$2500...

m-dub_817;1855769 said:
anybody else out there using kw's on their mk3?
Not likely. Bolded for emphasis and explanation...

If I were you, I would check with the guys from Speed for Sale (in the vendors section on here), they might be able to offer some insight/experience.

1jz-Rolla

Sep 11, 2011
Canberra
Whatever you choose in the end, please DO NOT go for coilovers from these guys for your MK3 http://ceikaperformance.com/

They have trouble with their suppliers, incorrectly specify their parts for the vehicles they claim them to fit, and basically just spin you a whole heap of BS once you've had the product delivered (after 3 months delay) to avoid support.

HSD have a good reputation, as a modern alternative to the TEIN/CUSCO options etc.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
HSDs are apparently the same unit as Stance.. I was skeptical until quite a few folks echoed the same thing. At least Stance/HSDS are better options than Megan, KSport, and D2, but I'm not sure that they're better than TEIN, Cusco, or HKS.

1jz-Rolla

Sep 11, 2011
Canberra
I'd say the majority of components for HSD/BC/Stance/Megan/D2/Ksport etc are coming out of the same taiwanese factories, difference being their R&D on matching particular sets to particular vehicles, and after sales support (including repairs/parts). Some of them seem to get the ride heights, damping rates, and spring rates pretty wrong......

Tein, Cusco, HKS etc will always have a better reputation due to their level of R&D and the fact that they've out-lasted many other brands that come and go. There's gotta be a reason for that.

m-dub_817

SupraMania Member
Sep 6, 2009
DFW
From what I've read so far ksport looks to be the best "budget" brand coilover on paper. They've got an 18month warranty made from air grade aluminum and they use their stuff in racing application. But right now for me it's JIC or BuddyClub. Zeal if I feel like spending the $$$$ or KW if anyone has them. Btw I've tried contacting all the brands ( JIC, BuddyClub, Zeal, KW, Tein, KSport, Stance) those 4 companies are the only ones who have replied back.

m-dub_817

SupraMania Member
Sep 6, 2009
DFW
Update:
Buddyclubs are discontinued so they are eliminated. I forgot about SilkRoad their US website is down and I can't read Japanese so I contacted their distributor IntecRacing. They're closed on Monday. KW v3's are NOT made for the mk3 so they're out too. It's down to JIC ( the new ZMS if they're going to be made for the mk3 or FLT-TAR), silkroad if I can get any info, or ZEAL if they're really worth the price difference.