coilover question....

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
so i was shopping around and finally got my coilovers. inthe for sale add it says it has "pillow ball top mount w/ adjustable camber (not available on some models). so anyways i get them today and sure enough, no camber adjustment. anyone out there using coilovers, and if so do yours have it? i need to decide whether to keep these or send them back and get different ones. im not gonna be racing or anything but i dont want my tires to to have uneven wear either. thanks-

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I'm taking it that you got the Megans? If so, that's what I have. The supra already has camber adjustment factory. I asked the same questions. when I was getting mine.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
The Factory adjustment is fine as long as the Car is not set to low. otherwise you will have to much negative Camber no matter what unless you start changing other things.
I do not recall seeing a set for the Supra that does have that.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Have a look at the actual geometry of the suspension - camber is adjusted via the lower control arm (and the motion of the wheel is constrained by the upper and lower control arms) The position of the top strut mount has little effect on the camber angle.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
adampecush said:
Have a look at the actual geometry of the suspension - camber is adjusted via the lower control arm (and the motion of the wheel is constrained by the upper and lower control arms) The position of the top strut mount has little effect on the camber angle.

^ nailed it, angle of the strut has no effect on camber as there are a upper and lower control arm that position the steering knuckle.

The struts in the MK3 are only there for holding the car up and controlling suspension oscillations.

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Corolla's and Nissans etc have the strut bolted securely to the hub with more than one fastener, so the top plate has notched holes to allow the whole assembly to be tilted in or outwards.

cusco_666410A.jpg

Supras only have on fastener at the bottom. Due to this, tilting the strut inwards will do only that, and have no effect on the wheels. So..if you want more camber than the factory allows, you need upper a-arms with adjustment like these...to re-locate the upper ball joint.

P-10-2.jpg

As for the equipment you bought, don't return them. You can't buy anything better than what you have in front of you. Just put them on and have the alignment checked when they are all set up.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
sweet guys, yeah i didnt even think about the control arms. my old car was front wheel drive and it had it. sweet man, well i guess i have no problems then. thanks again- Brian

tweak666

May 11, 2006
boca raton, FL
garagefujimoto said:
Corolla's and Nissans etc have the strut bolted securely to the hub with more than one fastener, so the top plate has notched holes to allow the whole assembly to be tilted in or outwards.

cusco_666410A.jpg

Supras only have on fastener at the bottom. Due to this, tilting the strut inwards will do only that, and have no effect on the wheels. So..if you want more camber than the factory allows, you need upper a-arms with adjustment like these...to re-locate the upper ball joint.

P-10-2.jpg

As for the equipment you bought, don't return them. You can't buy anything better than what you have in front of you. Just put them on and have the alignment checked when they are all set up.

are those a-arms for the mkIII? is so, who makes them?