coilover preload adjustment

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
hey everyone im running into some interesting issues with my setup
im starting to rub my front wheels on compression at speed im thinking i can keep this from happening by preloading the springs just past the point where each corner droops
is that right? or will i just need higher rated springs.
i also dont want to raise the car up any more
trying to get lower as a matter of fact

btw im running Zankoku Performance coilovers 16kg/10kg with 18x9.5 +20 wheels (with 20mm spacers in the front)
and i have flared the front fenders.

thanks

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
hvyman;1812059 said:
Rubbing where the fender liners?

How low are you?
i cant run fender liners im too low for that.
i just went out there and measured it looks like im about 5 inches or so from the frame rail to the ground.
im actually rubbing fender

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
If you rub the outside of the fender - add camber.

If you rub the inside ,then pre-load is not the way to go. Either replace the springs to the widely accepted as "best" for MK3 and MK4 -> 18KG front ,or use what saved me a few times on the track when I had rubbing - coil Spring inserts. Here is a pic of my car with inserts on BC coils (Ignore the 1.2.3.):

BuddyClubRacingDamper_on-MA.jpg

P.S. Fix the problem ASAP a few years back I actually destroyed the harness in one of my evolution Supras from Rubbing...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Is your preload how it came out of the box with the spring kinda loose?

I'm a tad lower with 18x10 +25 265/35 with zp coils 16/12 and I don't rub up that high unless going over big bumps.

Got to slow down for bumps when slammed.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
IM rubbing in the rear of my car on the same coilovers actually. My preload is I hand tightened them, once I got them there, I gave them 2 full turns each. The only side that seems to rub though is the passenger rear. Im not sure on how much preload is needed or what not. Ive actually messed my quarter up recently bc of this. Luckily I'm getting the car painted soon. haha

I know Im doing it wrong, someone GUIDE ME please. haha.

18x10 +25 with 275/40 for tire

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I only tightened them by hand to get rid of any slack. 275/35 rear. Only rub on hard bumps or with people in the back. Also on the lowest setting for the rear.

I'd get rid of the preload.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
LordDigital;1812155 said:
If you rub the outside of the fender - add camber.

If you rub the inside ,then pre-load is not the way to go. Either replace the springs to the widely accepted as "best" for MK3 and MK4 -> 18KG front ,or use what saved me a few times on the track when I had rubbing - coil Spring inserts. Here is a pic of my car with inserts on BC coils (Ignore the 1.2.3.):

BuddyClubRacingDamper_on-MA.jpg

P.S. Fix the problem ASAP a few years back I actually destroyed the harness in one of my evolution Supras from Rubbing...
its definetly rubbing on the outside , its cambered in a bit but im not sure how many degrees (ill check in the morning) no chance of ruining harnesses under there because there are none lol. i did a fusebox relocation into the interior of the car and i tucked the remaning wires onto the top side of the frame under the fender.

hvyman;1812168 said:
Is your preload how it came out of the box with the spring kinda loose?

I'm a tad lower with 18x10 +25 265/35 with zp coils 16/12 and I don't rub up that high unless going over big bumps.

Got to slow down for bumps when slammed.
when i posted this it was, all the springs were just hand tight. i added 5mm of preload to the front two springs and oh what a difference, the ride quality feels muuuuch nicer.
its odd though because i really didnt have these problems till i put these wheels on. the rears really arent bad but the fronts are interesting because in addition to the +20 offset on the wheels i have a set of 20mm spacers on there too.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
ok so i added 5mm of preload to all four corners and it basically just raised my car up a bit which seems to be keeping me from rubbing. the ride feels much smoother as well.
however i dont like the ride hight right now i feel like im too high.
getting low and being functional on 18's is not easy

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Being low with wide wheels plus spacers and offset your going to have to make sacrifices.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
taka21;1813027 said:
ok so i added 5mm of preload to all four corners and it basically just raised my car up a bit which seems to be keeping me from rubbing. the ride feels much smoother as well.
however i dont like the ride hight right now i feel like im too high.
getting low and being functional on 18's is not easy

Get adjustable UPCs or cut/weld yours ,and 1.problem will be solved and 2.car will handle like a charm ;)

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
my car is on 275-40 Hoosiers and I had to clearance the inner (area around the strut mount and oem battery location) fender in the front for tire clearance. Rear was never a problem on the inside, I rolled the outside lip of the fenders. in your isntance I would do as you have and simply raise the car until there is no more rubbing. A good way to check rubbing is to put long strips of duct tape in the areas you are concerned about. This allows you to check the rubbing, via removed or blackened tape.