coilover options

bkma71

supra coupe
Jun 7, 2005
troutdale, Oregon
Anyone have a list of available coilovers for our cars with specs? Just thought it was worth a shot. If not maybe we can get something going. I know hpf still has a pretty good list from when joe was working there, man I wish he still worked there he opened a whole bunch of products up to us.

Also anyone used the mookeeh inverted strut coils?

And I notice jic sf1's on ebay but I couldnt find any info on jic making the sf1's for our cars any info?

bkma71

supra coupe
Jun 7, 2005
troutdale, Oregon
So far brands that I have heard of making coilovers for our cars include(Please if you have any info or review on these or any others please do add)
I will try to add as much info that I can find about all of these including special features spring rates etc for all models
This is gunna take a while but the goal is to get all the info into one thread for everyone to find instead of have to search around.

1)tein
a)super street 16k/9k 16 way adj damper
b)flex 16k/12k 16way adj dampener indvidividual hieght and spring load tems compatable
c)mono flex 16k/12k mono tube internal design micro speed valving + same as flex
2)ksport
a)kontrol pro 13k/7k 36 way dampening
3)stance 12k/10k 15 way dampening inverted shocks(?)
4)megan
a) track series 18k/14k 32 way dampening
5)jic
a)flt-fas 12k/9k 10 way dampening
b)flt-tar 12k/9k 15way dampening
6)silk road
7)hsd
8)zeal
9)buddy club
10)mookeeh
11)bc racing
12)d2
13)hks
14)nex 12k/8k
15)cusco
16) endless

will ad more to the list later

Last edited:

zeroTRoN

Apr 20, 2009
Columbus,OH
Ive got the TEIN Type Flex on my 90. Fucking Fab!!! My 86.5 has KYB shocks and Eibach Springs, it dosent handel as well and I cant lower it. I love the Type Flex setup, and recomend it to all SUPRA owners

macdaddys

Jul 10, 2009
temecula
mokeeh is terrible i wouldnt go with those, i would recomend tein ss cant argue with a 800lb spring rate in the front and 600 in the rear ^_^

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
macdaddys;1409294 said:
mokeeh is terrible i wouldnt go with those, i would recomend tein ss cant argue with a 800lb spring rate in the front and 600 in the rear ^_^

I got Eibach 1200 pd in the front and 900 in the rear, but I race mine in autox meets and want it stiff. I wonder if you could fit the Eibach spring on one of the other Tein shocks? I got a cheap ass coilover kit off Ebay and just ordered the heavy duty springs from Eibach. It works for now until I can actually buy the true coilover setup. I am running 19's on the street and 17's when I race. So far other than a stiff ride I like it:naughty:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
my personal opinon. If you can not get some shock dyno sheets with the shocks and what the settings do. You minus well put each of those names listed and throw a dart. They will be a crap shoot.

Gixxer_Drew and also Wiisass use bilstein for thier shocks valved specifically to your car. It won't get any better or spot on than that. And they also do infact do the shock dyno + graphs for you.

read up folks.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
figgie;1410165 said:

On the whole, that's a good article. I do have some serious problems with a couple of his assertions.

First, his claim that all Japanese coilovers are crap is ridiculous. This is a guy who is in the business of rebuilding/revalving shocks and admitedly does not have access to parts from all of the companies. I don't doubt that he sees a lot of "crap," but consider this:

A) who takes their brand new $2500 coilover set to him for revalving and/or shock dynoing? Probably no one. If he does get his hands on a quality Japanese coilover, it probably is after it's been used/abused for a while and is in need of repair services that he is unable to provide.

B) Most of the <$2000 japanese coilovers aren't made in Japan anymore. They're made in China and Taiwan, where (on the whole) quality control is not what it is in Japan. Even still, TEIN's dampers don't typically exhibit the "crosstalk" he claimed they do. Here's proof:

Tein&

C) JIC, TEIN, Cusco, Zeal, HKS -- all offer custom valving on their mid-upper level coilovers. Zeal will provide shock dynos (not sure about the others). Just because he can't get the parts doesn't mean its not possible

The other dubious claim is that no one needs adjustable dampeners. The "since F1 cars don't need x, you don't need it either" psuedologic is so played out. F1 teams don't need adjustable dampers because they have testing days where they can try out various custom valving. There is no need to have the extra weight of adjustable valving on the car because by the time the race starts, they know where they want the valving to be. This is in addition to a whole host of other suspension adjustments at their fingers, to fine tune throughout the course of the race.

Most guys at an autocross or track day have very limited suspension adjustments at their disposal. They can adjust tire pressure, they can adjust shock dampening, and they may have an adjustable swaybar. They aren't sitting there in the pits revalving shocks and swapping springs. They aren't adjusting the roll center. They aren't changing the alignment. They aren't changing tire size/compounds. So they have to make do with things that aren't ideal, but are better than nothing...

This isn't to say that the Wiisass and Gixxer_Drew suspensions aren't an excellent choice for those in the $1000-$1500 price range. They're probably better than most coilovers under $2500. But they aren't ideal for:

* The guy with $800 to spend who wants the best handling he can buy (even if at the expense of comfort)
* The guy with $2000 to spend who needs adjustability (either because he uses the same suspension to drive on poor quality roads that he uses on track days, or because he needs to dial in his car for each course he comes across)
* The guy with $3000+ to spend (lighter weight offerings are available from Zeal, Ohlins, Penske)

Last edited: