Coilover feedback needed

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
New York, New York, United States
Well I have been looking at a set of coilovers for about 2 months now and besides one sided opinions and Name brand disease I need my car to run right. I have a seen alot of input from N/A cars and I tried a eibach tokico setup Id rather have blown stockers. I am currently looking at some megan tracks because of budget reasons yet they were horrible on my sentra. Another set was the stance coilover which subaru and few evo guys love and swear by. I am not looking for comfort, doesnt take much to steer around a pothole,I do it all on and of the streets that some might say its wrong. my final thing is I want actual performance not crap I want actual input besides my research.

1986.5 sports package
1JZGTTE with Emanage Blue
18in konig milligrams

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I've driven on the Megan Tracks for about 12-15 months, I really have no complaints. Could they be better? Probably, but what can't? For the price they'll do quite a bit, from 4x4+ height and softness, to stupidly low and stiff. :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
te72;1601889 said:
I've driven on the Megan Tracks for about 12-15 months, I really have no complaints. Could they be better? Probably, but what can't? For the price they'll do quite a bit, from 4x4+ height and softness, to stupidly low and stiff. :)

You can find stance coil overs for about the same price and megan are non rebuildable with a 1 year warrenty so after that your out 7-900.

Get something of quality but rebuildable.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
rtrdpenguin;1601735 said:
Stances are the best option I've found for A70s by a mile.

yea when i go coilovers im going with stance i heard nothing but good things about them..plus you can get them for pretty damn good price....

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
dubsupra209;1602040 said:
yea when i go coilovers im going with stance i heard nothing but good things about them..plus you can get them for pretty damn good price....

I've found em for ~1200 shipped for Stance's spring rates, or you can go with custom spring rates/valving for an extra 200 iirc...

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
but Is te Stances for driffting only??

I am very happy with my set of Tein Flex+EDFC+pollybushing
I use my supra for road racing and some times public street

Moy;1602291 said:
I've found em for ~1200 shipped for Stance's spring rates, or you can go with custom spring rates/valving for an extra 200 iirc...

Custom rates are free if you only go 1k above/below the "stock spec." If the shocks have to be re-valved I was quoted $70 for re-valving for all 4 corners! :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Zankoku is also selling coilovers for our cars, check the Misc Vendors section. I'm halfway tempted myself, just to see the difference between theirs and the Megans.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
rtrdpenguin;1602593 said:
Custom rates are free if you only go 1k above/below the "stock spec." If the shocks have to be re-valved I was quoted $70 for re-valving for all 4 corners! :)

I was told by THMotorsports that you can go +/- 3k without needing revalving, and anything more than that it's an extra cost and are the coilovers would then be special order :)

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Are you sure they offer revalving as well or just rebuilding? If so, do they offer specs and diagrams to go with the valving? I ask becuase it's the first time I've seen this offered on a coilover available for this chassis that's not full custom setup.

If these can be custom valved there's alot to be said for that. If it's only a rebuild that's still a great price. I just had my Buddy Club's rebuilt and price was more than that per corner. No custom valving offered. Ohlins however charged only $30 a corner and they are a top level manufacturer. Too bad one of them was beyond repair or I'd be using the Ohlins.

Brian

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
Megans are the stiffest you buy without spending too much money. A local supra blew his front passenger side and Megan gave him another one for $120.

Ooh and we have track his car without problems.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
prsrcokr;1603931 said:
Are you sure they offer revalving as well or just rebuilding? If so, do they offer specs and diagrams to go with the valving? I ask becuase it's the first time I've seen this offered on a coilover available for this chassis that's not full custom setup.

If these can be custom valved there's alot to be said for that. If it's only a rebuild that's still a great price. I just had my Buddy Club's rebuilt and price was more than that per corner. No custom valving offered. Ohlins however charged only $30 a corner and they are a top level manufacturer. Too bad one of them was beyond repair or I'd be using the Ohlins.

Brian

I'll post part of the PM (from another forum I'm on)

Nick@THMotorsports said:
I would say most definately go with the Stance. For one, they are local and that makes replacing parts or anything of that nature wayyyy easier. 2: they are tried and tested by alot of local people. As for personalized spring rates, you can go up or down 3k without having to re-valve. If you want to go more than 3k its an additional $200 and they are special order...so there is some wait time.

shoesandsocks

NA-T MX83
Sep 1, 2009
Tucson, Arizona, United States
From personal experience i can say this u get what u pay for. Megans are kinda cheap and even though there spring rates are stiff doesn't mean there that great when it comes to durability ill put it this way, i have two friends with s13 240sx's both have the exact same megan kit one was drifting about 3 months after install he hit a pothole and the coil over lost all compression, other friend however saw him going about 35 smacked a curb and was fine two minutes later goes out again hits the exact same curb car is still one hundred percent so its a toss up with those Megans. Stance in my opinion are the best handling coil over u can buy for any car only problem that Ive seen with these is for our cars they don't seem to go low enough but that's the only problem. BC coil overs are also extremely good and extremely expensive. And then u your k sport/d2 i put them together cause there made in the same factory apparently but they both fail equally as much i have k sports on my car and let me just say this yes it can go stupid low which is awesome durability is not worth the 800 ull pay for it honestly at the shop i work at i have seen about 5 sets replaced on various car with great drivers that i know personally would do nothing to break them my advice stay away if i could afford a set i would buy some new coil overs right now but these are the ones i got the car with so i'm stuck so there is my personal experiences now go and slam your car

Moy;1603056 said:
I was told by THMotorsports that you can go +/- 3k without needing revalving, and anything more than that it's an extra cost and are the coilovers would then be special order :)

prsrcokr;1603931 said:

Brian

I got what I said by calling Stance directly. They're pretty much willing to do anything you want as long as you're willing to pay for it. I'm ordering some with shorter shock bodies in the rear to go extra low :)

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
rtrdpenguin;1604010 said:
I got what I said by calling Stance directly. They're pretty much willing to do anything you want as long as you're willing to pay for it. I'm ordering some with shorter shock bodies in the rear to go extra low :)

hrm. ah well. either way. you can go up or down a certain amount before revalving is required lol

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Because nobody makes inverted monotubes for our cars (the stances are listed as such, but the actual photos I've seen show otherwise)