coil problems

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
so i recently got a msd blaster 2 coil for my 90 n/a i pulled off the stock one and swapped them out. when i put the msd one on the car won't start now. i checked and there is no spark coming out of the coil. i got curious and started checking some stuff and well there is power going into the coil. but still no power going out. so i opened the box and looked at the pictures in the installation manual and it says if using a stock ignitor (i am) you need a .8 ohm ballast resistor for it and plug it in line on the positive side of the coil. i ordered one and i will get it soon.

but my question is what does it do and is there anyway to get around using it for the time being?

also is it possible that i did any damage to the msd coil by not using the resistor and trying to start the car?

i really need my car running soon. so any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I don't have a resistor in my 87 with the same coil. Used the stock wires from the ignitor, to. Sure you have pos. and neg. on the correct posts?

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
yeah pos is the grey one in the front and neg is the black on the rear of the ignition right?

something i forgot to mention earlier is that when i playing with it. i took a wire that was grounded to the body and touched it to the negative and it sparked. i don't remember if the key was "on" or not but none the less it sparked.

but on my own thinking it might be the ingition going out. but if that was the case would it still have power going to the coil? in my head it sounds like a no answer but i don't know.

Last edited:

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
aight i found the problem it was the high current wire comingout of the coil that is fine now. but i got a new problem. my tach is still sitting at zero and it won't start. any ideas?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
If by "ignition," you're refering to the igniter, then yes, black is ground, and the other is pos.

Are you getting spark from the coil now? Like Muzy said, check your fuses. You didn't cut any of the other wires at the igniter, correct? Just the two for the stock coil.

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
yeah i ment ignitor my bad. but yeah i'm getting spark but its not that strong at all. but no i didn't cut any other wires at all.
the only indication i have is a test lite it doesn't show voltage just a lite on when power is flowing through it. but as far as the tach goes when i'm trying to start it it stays at zero when i'm trying to start it. it used to read alt least 500 or so when trying to start. the distrub is new so is the rotor, plugs and plug wires.
but what fuses should i check for it?

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
u can get a spark checker for like 3 bucks at the local auto parts store . the gap is adjustable and they have a gauge to see how many 1000 volts your coil has. that way you can realy determine if your spark is weak or not.

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
Aight I still got no spark. H replaced my dizzy, igniter, coil, ecu, ignition switch, and wiring harness and now this is getting really agraivating. Please help.

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
cuel;1307627 said:
Check all the fuses, and the connectors at the dist. Make sure you didn't unplug any of them.

Just to make sure that we're on the same page, exactly what fuse are you referring to? Also what is the power main relay that is in the driver side kick panel for?

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
I been trying with both types of coils and no luck and i just changed all the fuses today and none were blown but i changed them anyway.

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
What is the primary and secondary resistance of the blaster 2 supposed to be? I found out that my stock coil is out of spec so I want to make sure that my msd is good. Also I found out that that the G2 pick up coil has to much resistance. So can my car run only 2 pick up coils for a short time without damanaging anything?