coil pack main harness

attak13

Jan 27, 2014
Albany NY
I purchased a 1991 Toyota supra 7MGTE R154 in January. I have been working on it ever since. (in upstate ny with no garage) I have done a lot of research on this forum and fixed many issues with the car.

The issue im having, causing me to make my first post ever on a Supra forum, is with the main harness that plugs into the coil pack harness. I was removing the coil packs to replace the plug wires and with a soft touch the blue/yellow wire (I believe) broke off of the connector. the black wire was also loose and falling out. after trying to remove the other two with a small tool I made, the plastic was very brittle and broke. I bought a new coil pack harness (driftmotion) and found a good write up on this forum which pointed me to a place to buy new .090 connectors. I bought both male and female as they were not compatible with the toyota connectors, only the wires and terminals. I cut the connector off the new coil pack harness and fitted the new one to it. the way the terminals fit were not comparable to stock. lets say the stock harness had a green wire going to the top right...the way the terminals slid into the new connector would make that green wire be at the bottom left. (just an example) so i figured out the differences wired it up and gave it a shot. the engine would not turn over. I thought about how before I pulled the rest of the broken wires out of the connector, I made a diagram. I made the diagram based on facing the BACK of the connector, clip on top. When i configured all of my wiring, I made diagrams of the wires facing from the FRONT, as well as the "broken wire clip." basically, I read my original diagram wrong. (front instead of back) so I rewired to compensate for this and still no luck.

It would be great if someone could just look at their car to see what color wires go together from the main harness to the coil pack. As far as ive researched, the coil pack harness' are all the same (green,tan,black,white.) The main harness' can differ. Mine consists of a black/orange wire, yellow wire, blue/red wire, and a blue/yellow wire.

Yes, it would have been so much easier, less time consuming, and lazier to just ask the question directly above. I guess im hoping all the extra literature about my experience will help people understand that I am accomplishing things on my own without asking dumb questions on forums.

attak13

Jan 27, 2014
Albany NY
So I tried testing my spark by running a lead from the negative terminal on the battery to the spark plug. I have no spark when the plug is touching my ground lead, but when the ground is 1-2 inches away from the spark plug i get excellent spark. can anyone make sense of that?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you bought a new harness from driftmotion is should be plug and play to the factory engine harness for all years

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
hvyman;1999178 said:
If you bought a new harness from driftmotion is should be plug and play to the factory engine harness for all years

TRUTH

Also check for oil in the spark plug galley

attak13

Jan 27, 2014
Albany NY
hvyman;1999178 said:

The issue I had was with the main engine bay harness, the one in which the coil pack harness connects to. One wire was broken, another was pulling out and upon trying to remove the other two wires from the plastic connector, the plastic was brittle and broke with ease. I needed to replace the plastic connector on the main harness so I decided to replace the coil pack harness as well at this time. I apologize, the thread i mentioned earlier was from a different forum so I wont post a link. Basically the thread was about wire harness repair, and information about connectors and terminals. the OP stated that 90% of the connectors on the harness are sumitomo .090 series terminals and connectors. He also posted a link to a couple different web sites in which sold these .090 terminals/connectors. Theses web sites in particular were for Japanese motorcycles. Being as I could not find a stock/toyota plastic connector for the main harness, I purchased one from this site..but as the OP stated these new connectors work great on the supra wires, but they are not compatible with the toyota supra plastic connectors, so If you need to replace a male connector (such as i did) you need to order a female connector as well thus being why I swapped out the plastic connector on the new coil pack harness from driftmotion.

attak13

Jan 27, 2014
Albany NY
Can anyone confirm that I have my wires connected properly?

Coil pack harness to Main engine bay harness

tan - blue/red
green - blue/yellow
white - yellow
black - black

attak13

Jan 27, 2014
Albany NY
hvyman;1999596 said:
What was the issue?

for one thing, the cylinders were a bit flooded from trying to start it and from adjusting the afpr. The plugs were also shot from that and because the car has been running quite rich. I dried out the cylinders and replaced the plugs.

The main issue was my wiring. I used the cygnus/tsrm to test the coil packs and igniter. I used 2 AA batteries, wire and electrical tape as a 3v source. tsrm says to test pin 3 on the 6-p connector for the igniter. I observed that 4 of the 6 wires going to 6-p were the same color as the wires coming from the main harness into the coil pack harness. pin #3 was the black wire. that being said, I knew the black wire off the main harness had to go to the tan wire on the coil pack harness, the only wire thats spliced and feeds all A, B, and C connectors for the coil packs. I looked in my notes for a diagram that showed the black wire going to tan, temporarily wired it up and tested for momentary continuity and it showed. slipped in the key and she fired right up.

Here is the wiring diagram I used:
Coil pack harness to Main harness
white - blue/yellow
tan - black
black - blue/red
green - yellow

the only other thing i did do was the ground mod for the igniter. Removed the cover and screw on the inside, ran a lead from there to the chassis ground right off the battery.

Last but not least, im good with mechanics and metal but not so good with the kind thats copper and rubber-coated. As frustrating as an electrical issue can be for me, I learn new things and grow smarter each time around. This time I learned how to properly test for ohms and more about how my ignition system functions.