codes 31 & 24, but won't start

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
alright well i think i found a few things that MIGHT be contributing to the problem.

1st: one of the injector connectors was on the wrong clip (i thought it was a pattern, like the first 4 [brown,grey,brown..] but i looked it up and that's not the case, so i fixed that (i also think this might be the reason i got that one backfire everytime i tried to crank the car

2nd: i'm pretty sure i forgot to torque the cam belt tensioner down (yes, i am retarded....) i looked it up, and it said to torque it down to, and not more than 36 ft/lbs, but i can't remember how you go about re-setting it.

do i just tighten the bolt? or is there something i do before that? i can't remember... it's been so long since i undid the thing

oh and this could definitely be why my car wasn't starting, no?

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
If you look closely at your plastic upper timing cover, there is a plug in the cover. Take it out, and you now have access to your timing belt tensioner bolt. You loosen the bolt, the spring puts tension on the belt. Then, you tighten the bolt to 36ft/lbs and it sets the timing belt tension.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
You might want to make sure the cam gears are were they are suppose to be now . If the tension wasn't right it may have slipped. Yes could be the whole timming thing as why it isn't starting.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
alright well turns out the tensioner WAS torqued down but there wasn't as much tension in the belt as i'd expect there to be.

everything stayed aligned when i tried to crank the car, so i doubt that this is the cause of the car not starting. but i did notice that the cams might've been slightly off by a tooth, but i think this would make the car run like crap, not totally keep the car from starting; am i wrong with this assumption?

i don't know whats wrong, i'm a sad panda

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Having the timing off a tooth will not keep it from starting... but it will make it harder to start.

You really need to take the timing cover off, set your gears straight up, have #1 cylinder at tdc, and put your timing belt back on with the correct tension.

I am willing to bet that your distributor is off - you have to remember that when you slide the shaft down into place and your gears mesh together that it makes everything rotate... so beware of that.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
Setheroo;943414 said:
Having the timing off a tooth will not keep it from starting... but it will make it harder to start.

You really need to take the timing cover off, set your gears straight up, have #1 cylinder at tdc, and put your timing belt back on with the correct tension.

I am willing to bet that your distributor is off - you have to remember that when you slide the shaft down into place and your gears mesh together that it makes everything rotate... so beware of that.

oh the timing cover is off; the distributor is set correctly, i took the cap off and checked to make sure yesterday.

i think the bolt for the tensioner is rusted on or something b/c i couldn't get it off earlier.. i drenched it in some WD40 and hopefully it'll come off next time i try. i'm pretty sure it was torqued correctly (can't remember), definitely not wanting to see any loss of compression in cylinder 1 :\

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
alright well i can't get the tensioner loose, the timing MAY be off a tooth but it's not bad; not bad enough to keep it from starting i'd think.

i just changed the spark plugs, but i haven't tried to start it since, i'll be doing that later tonight and i'll report back on what happens.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
car is still sitting, my buddy is gonna come over sometime this week and put a timing light to it and see if we can get it to start.

i'll keep you guys posted on what happens, sorry to hear that you have this issue as well :[

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
In regards to your update in the first post.

26=Mixture control continuously rich_________Loose ground, injector or circuit, oxygen sensor or circuit, fuel pressure, ignition system coolant temperature sensor, air intake system, airflow meter, air leak, ignition system, electronic air bleed control valve, MAP sensor, vacuum sensor, ECU

I am also having a problem with my baby not wanting to start. It's really ruining my mood.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
yeah i was about to say compression. if it has spark and fuel and is timed right the only thing that could keep it from starting is bad compression. did you rebuid the head? if they didnt adjust the valves correctly or didnt grind the seats right you wont have compression.