code 51?

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Supra is throwing code 51. It is bogging down past 4000rpms, it idles at 2000+ and is just running crappy. Plus the car continues to run after you turn the ignition off and take out the key. :1zhelp: could this be from code 51 (trottle position sensor?)

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
This is from yesterday/today.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19097

I dont think the TPS can cause what you described as far as idle rpm's,

Unplug your TPS and see if it idles and drives better. (not likely though) Sounds like a vacuum leak some where possibly? how long does it run after the key is removed?

Read the link above and follow the directions when checking codes, key on/ engine off,,, AC off,,, clutch out,,, no gas pedal.,,Now make sure your linkage is closed with slack in the cables and look for codes. You may need to adjust the TPS.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Thanks alot for the link. And usually it just ran a couple seconds. But twice it would not stop at all. It only stoped when we tried to rev it. It seemed to just choke out then.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Joel W. said:
I dont think the TPS can cause what you described as far as idle rpm's

It sure can. Remember, the IDL contact is what enables and disables the ISC system. Code 51 signifies no IDL contact close, thus no ISC operation. Unplugging the TPS always results in an altered idle. In fact that's about all it'll result in other than a slight enrichening of the mixture.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
But he said it idles at 2000+ rpm's? I thought that was a tad high.. My bad.. When I unplug my TPS the idle only goes from 750 to 1k rpm

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
2000 is high for a code 51....high for a car that's otherwise working right and in good shape. From what I've observed many of these cars aren't likely to be 100%. His idle problem may be TPS related only in the sense something else was wrong and was being masked. Or it could be unrelated. My point was to keep in mind the relation IDL has to the ISC and the other things it controls. It does a lot more than generate code 51s ;)