Code 51 Understanding

Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
7mgte in my 85 automatic.

Does a code 51 cause any ECU engine management changes? I am guessing that it doesn’t because it signals 3 unrelated causes.

I am getting a code 51 and the TPS was OK a few months ago. AC is off. But I do have a neutral start issue occasionally (over 1yr or more) mostly on the rare occasions when it is parked uphill. I then need to jiggle it in neutral to start it. I am also trying to zero in on some bad MPG results with no other codes showing.
I currently have some agility issues and have to plan my efforts with some care.

Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
Had already read that. Good info but don't see that it answers the question.
It only goes into the issues caused by a TPS issue creating the code 51 and not what the code 51 may have triggered the ECU to do.

Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
restating the question:
Does a neutral start switch issue (causing a code 51 reading) affect the ECU's management of the engine?

Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
Q. "Does a neutral start switch issue (causing a code 51 reading) affect the ECU's management of the engine? "
A. "Without going into detail it depends on the cause but all involve idle. "

So you seem to be saying that there are code 51 readings CAUSED by neutral start switch issues that CAN "involve idle".
Would you outline/describe a neutral start switch issue that can cause a code 51 and how that issue affects the idle?