Code 43 and 31

nrogers

May 14, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I just installed a hks intake and suddenly after driving it for a day the engine light came on just after the car stalls out on me, giving me the erratic idle and then it would go away when i would accelerate, but while i was decelerating i noticed it would go funny. So i replaced the AFM and then it worked fine for a day then i when i was sitting outside my house just idling for 5 mins it came back, but just a lil bit! I am gonna go crazy. Oh yes and i did look at other threads related but they where not exactly like this soo i thought i would start a new one.

Feb 16, 2007
TN, USA
nrogers said:
I just installed a hks intake and suddenly after driving it for a day the engine light came on just after the car stalls out on me, giving me the erratic idle and then it would go away when i would accelerate, but while i was decelerating i noticed it would go funny. So i replaced the AFM and then it worked fine for a day then i when i was sitting outside my house just idling for 5 mins it came back, but just a lil bit! I am gonna go crazy. Oh yes and i did look at other threads related but they where not exactly like this soo i thought i would start a new one.

Sounds a lot like whats going on w/ mine but I'm getting codes 31 and 32, and i just have to put the slightest pressure on the gas and it idles fine it seems mine can't hold at a steady low rpm and just is all over the place till it dies in a minute(w/ a/c it dies instantly w/ out slight pressure on gas). This may be called hijackin but i figure they related at leasat by code 31 and symptoms so I figure if they help you maybe they can help me.

noredline

Yeah, I'd stands on that.
Sep 26, 2006
Chandler, AZ
I merely going off of the TSRM for you, the only common item between both of those codes are pointing to the ECU. Code 31 points towards a diagnostic of the AFM and then to the ECU, did you "clean" the AFM before you put it in, I have heard of that causing some issues. Code 43 points towards the ignition switch and then back to the ECU. Only other thing I can think of in response to the erratic idle while your accelerating is a nasty vacuum leak. I am by no means a genius just trying to give you whatever help I can.

31 Air Flow Meter Signal

Diagnosis

* (7M-GE) Open circuit in VC signal or short circuit between VS and E2 when idle contacts are closed.
* (7M-GTE) Open or short circuit in air flow meter signal.

Trouble Area

* Air flow meter circuit
* Air flow meter
* ECU

43 Starter Signal

Diagnosis

* No "STA" signal to ECU until engine speed reaches 800RPM with vehicle not moving.

Trouble Area

* Ignition switch circuit.
* Ignition switch
* ECU

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Did you manage to plug your airflow meter back in correctly after installing the filter? Assuming that is what you mean by the intake.

HKS flows, but is the one of the dirtiest out there. It will contaminate the engine and airflow meter in time.

Feb 16, 2007
TN, USA
Nick M said:
Did you manage to plug your airflow meter back in correctly after installing the filter? Assuming that is what you mean by the intake.

HKS flows, but is the one of the dirtiest out there. It will contaminate the engine and airflow meter in time.

well mine is an apexi, and its brand new as well as the mass air sensor and it was installed professionally so I would assume its hookd up correctly.

nrogers

May 14, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yea i was wondering about the HKS open air filter, just after i put that in it gave me that code!... What do i do? get rid of that filter? Right now its not doin it all the time, but most of the time. When i put the A/C on it doesnt do it because the idle goes to about 800rpm. I do need new spark plug wires though, That will fix up the little missing and backfiring i think. Im kinda sketched out about that Filter tho. Seems like it runnning rich

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The contamination doesn't happen overnight, unless you drive on dirt roads. Or if the element is over oiled.

The best way to check an airflow meter is with the Hz scale on a DVOM.