Code 42 for 2jz

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
Ok, I've been working continuously on this swap just to get everything right... well ok this time I was just reving up the car because it doesn't idle right.. It just bounces up and down won't stay steady... so yea on the the code... I got code 42. which is the No. 1 speed sensor... If I'm not mistaken it the pink wire from the M1 plug that connects to the other pink wire on the E10 plug on the ecu, right? So, I'm clueless as to why it doesn't idle right and why is that code popping up when I rev up the car? Thanks guys...

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Amazing!! I had code 42 yesterday, bouncing idle, and rich exhaust/gas.

Replaced the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV), reset ECU, and found a loose vacuum line. Still had the Fing issue, but without a code and not-so-much-bouncing idle. Replaced the plugs (used Champion $1.99 ones, they were out of NGK BKR7E).

I think I blew the vacuum line while boosting and fouled out a spark plug or two.
Runs like an Fing champ now.

Good luck!

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
hvyman;1528771 said:

Yea I know I mentioned that on my post, and it connects from the m1 pink wire to the other pink wire on the e10 plug on the 2j ECU. So I'm at a state of confusion because I have continuity so it's wired right just why is it triggering a code?

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Satan;1528760 said:
Amazing!! I had code 42 yesterday, bouncing idle, and rich exhaust/gas.

Replaced the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV), reset ECU, and found a loose vacuum line. Still had the Fing issue, but without a code and not-so-much-bouncing idle. Replaced the plugs (used Champion $1.99 ones, they were out of NGK BKR7E).

I think I blew the vacuum line while boosting and fouled out a spark plug or two.
Runs like an Fing champ now.

Good luck!

Thanks I hope I get it running right is all I want I'll check my plugs and vaccum and the IAC.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Interested in this thread as I throw a code 42 whenever I really get on the throttle and rev above a certain RPM. Haven't noticed any ill effects but the CEL will turn on every time I make a pull which is annoying. I'm running a 1jz on a 2jz ecu for reference.

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
GotTurbos?;1528957 said:
Interested in this thread as I throw a code 42 whenever I really get on the throttle and rev above a certain RPM. Haven't noticed any ill effects but the CEL will turn on every time I make a pull which is annoying. I'm running a 1jz on a 2jz ecu for reference.

Yea that CEL is annoying... Well if there's no effect on it what so ever then I'll do my best to try to ignore it if its code 42... Thanks for the input... Really appreciate it...

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Basically, look for a loose vacuum line and replace the plugs if you've had them for awhile. The vacuum line that came loose on mine was in the center of the intake manifold, near the PCV valve, covered up by a few other things and made it hard to see it. I am sure that I popped the line and ran rich for a good distance, fouling some of my plugs.

I think the code 42 is unrelated (Speed Sensor), but it was unusual that you and I have the same exact symptoms, including the unrelated code... Coincidence?

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
Satan;1529365 said:
Basically, look for a loose vacuum line and replace the plugs if you've had them for awhile. The vacuum line that came loose on mine was in the center of the intake manifold, near the PCV valve, covered up by a few other things and made it hard to see it. I am sure that I popped the line and ran rich for a good distance, fouling some of my plugs.

I think the code 42 is unrelated (Speed Sensor), but it was unusual that you and I have the same exact symptoms, including the unrelated code... Coincidence?

yea it is. But yea I just changed the plug, searched for vaccum leaks, none. I figured the IAC so I checked it wiped some gunk off and now it runs right no more codes so far. wierd though I don't know what happened but it's fixed.