code 31 problem maybe you can help

90SupraMike

Aug 1, 2006
Van Nuys, CA
ok well withing the past week my turbo went out and i got it rebuilt again but got it clipped. ok so i got the turbo all in everything is hooked up i primed the system and start the car. ok check engine light comes on and its idling and smoking. check for codes and get code 31 (afm problems). so i borrow my neighbors electronics off of his previously running(like 2-3 years ago) 87 turbo 5 spd supra and its still doin the same thing. my SAFCII is still set to when i had 14psi of boost, now im only have it on stock boost. would that cause any problems.

what do you guys think it is?

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
could be boost leak
afm not plugged in well/shot
as for the safc, that will only make you run rich if your boosting

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
Check for a loose hose on your intercooler pipes and pull the efi fuse out to reset the computer and see if it throws the same code after you run the car again with your neighbors electronics.

90SupraMike

Aug 1, 2006
Van Nuys, CA
which one was the efi fuse again? i forgot.

oh yeah i forgot to add that it was working fine b4 but i did try to clean out the afm with brake cleaner and im wondering if that would mess it up? but then why would it do the same with another afm?

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
did you clean the housing with the electronics in??? if so you messed up your afm....your not supposed to clean it at all!

90SupraMike

Aug 1, 2006
Van Nuys, CA
so this is what my car is shooting out the exhaust and this is how its running if i hold the throttle at a low RPM.

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/URL]