Code 31 - AFM

Wabash Cannonballl

Jul 21, 2012
Clearwater
I've been driving only Toyota trucks and passenger cars since 1980 and have always prattled on to my motorhead son about their reliability. So he grows up and gets into building Hondas - the shame! Anyway, about three years ago he talked me into picking up a neglected, but fundamentally sound '87 turbo. I've been picking away a little every year learning as I go, staying stock so far. Gotta walk before I run. This year one of my unplanned repairs was helicoiling the exhaust man. studs and replacing the gasget. While reassembling the intake tubing I noticed a fair amount of oily build-up in the AFM housing and absent mindedly grabbed the nearest cleaner and gave it a spray, D'oh! one of those screw-ups that races through your mind almost as you are doing it. Sure enough, Code 31. Fortunately I was able to find a used one and Bob's your uncle, I was up and running. For about two weeks. Then I got Code 31'd again, which has me thinking back to the oil in the housing. The car otherwise runs and starts clean no smoke or smell. Is it possible that there is enough oil vapor entering the intake pipe to travel upstream and fog the AFM?

Treat the disease, not the symptom.

Thanks,