code 22

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
ok so figured it's time to bring this one in for opinions...

I have had a code 22 since i got this car back from a guy I replaced the sensor and still got it...

then i found out the guy sucked something into cyl#6 and replaced the engine with another 7mgte...

i also switched the harness thinking it was the reason for the code since i changed the sensor and followed wires a ways...

now it could be that this harness is bad too but I was wondering if anyone thinks the ecu could be the issue?

I'm going to test this with another ecu this weekend but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas of what it could be if the ecu isn't the issue...

I'm tempted to buy a new harness but the $600 price tag would hurt my wallet...

it starts really hard when cold and runs extremely rich when warm but this could be from other reasons like a lack of charcole can...

thanks in advance and I'm glad to have a running mk3 again

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Code 22 is one of the fail safe functions of the TCCS...a temp of 80 deg C is used in all calculations using coolant temp. That explains the hard cold start...start-up enrichment is minimized and there is no warm-up enrichment. You should be seeing a lean condition cold. However, after the car warms up it should run fairly normal. An rich condition means you have something else going on here.

Did you test the sensor vs just replacing it?
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&P=113

Best way to do this is put the sensor probe in a pot of water and warm up with a thermometer to monitor temp. Test that resistance falls per the chart.

It's most common for a wiring problem to occur in the part of the harness that goes over the top of the engine. The heat in this area makes the wires brittle.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
jdub;1394272 said:
Code 22 is one of the fail safe functions of the TCCS...a temp of 80 deg C is used in all calculations using coolant temp. That explains the hard cold start...start-up enrichment is minimized and there is no warm-up enrichment. You should be seeing a lean condition cold. However, after the car warms up it should run fairly normal. An rich condition means you have something else going on here.

Did you test the sensor vs just replacing it?
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&P=113

Best way to do this is put the sensor probe in a pot of water and warm up with a thermometer to monitor temp. Test that resistance falls per the chart.

It's most common for a wiring problem to occur in the part of the harness that goes over the top of the engine. The heat in this area makes the wires brittle.

yeah after reading your replies to other threads (before posting here :D) i realized it was prob from the fact that it has never had a carcoal can.

I didn't bother testing it because when i went to remove the clip the sensor fell apart in my hands so i just bought a new one, but thats a good idea.

I haven't checked this harness but the other harnesses wires where all just fine...

but regardless she died on me tonight after killing a 5.0 stang she got rod knock :( i dont understand I was sure i had done everything right this time but I guess not...I'm gonna go 2jzge-t now but only because it will be easier to have the mk3 and mk4 both running similar engines.

thanks guys for the help