Code 22 + Dissappearing/Incenerating oil?

Recently my N/A 87 with 225,xxx has been spiking randomly in temperature (gague wise) and buring about 4 quarts of oil every 8 or so miles (I hate to buy oil just to get to school and back 'safely') can my engine temp. affect my oil pressure and consumption that heavly? After I replace the thermostat should it be fine? Upon startup the car will idle at 500 rmps and almost stall when revved sometimes it will even idle around 1k and drop to 200 when revved, but after holding the gas for about 2-3 seconds the sttering suscide attempt ends and it jumps up to 3k as if it is perfectly fine. Afterwards it just settles into a regular idle. After cashing in a gift card oil change I was told I had a slight oil pan gasket leak, could this be the source of my dissappearing oil? When the cap is removed there is smoke, about a lit ciggerttes worth, But no puddle in the driveway at all. Any ideas?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
RogueSteel;1389260 said:
Recently my N/A 87 with 225,xxx has been spiking randomly in temperature (gague wise) and buring about 4 quarts of oil every 8 or so miles (I hate to buy oil just to get to school and back 'safely') can my engine temp. affect my oil pressure and consumption that heavly? After I replace the thermostat should it be fine? Upon startup the car will idle at 500 rmps and almost stall when revved sometimes it will even idle around 1k and drop to 200 when revved, but after holding the gas for about 2-3 seconds the sttering suscide attempt ends and it jumps up to 3k as if it is perfectly fine. Afterwards it just settles into a regular idle. After cashing in a gift card oil change I was told I had a slight oil pan gasket leak, could this be the source of my dissappearing oil? When the cap is removed there is smoke, about a lit ciggerttes worth, But no puddle in the driveway at all. Any ideas?
That's a lot of oil. A minor leak wouldn't use that much, sounds like rings to me. Have you done a compression test or checked the plugs? I'll bet they are oil soaked.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Do a compression test before you change anything. A quart every two miles is a ton for worn rings, especially if it came on suddenly. That sounds more like a burned piston or a cracked oil passage. Did you pull the spark plugs out or is the oil on top where the wires connect?

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
That depends entirely on the owner my friend. It doesn't take much to pull the plugs and run a compression test. Shine a light in the combustion chambers and see what the pistons look like. Wear that causes that kind of consumption won't be subtle. If the problem is only in one or two cylinders then there are other steps we can take to diagnose this.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
RogueSteel;1389385 said:
Oil is where the plugs connect, i'll look under tomorrow :3d_frown:
But is it really worth to keep saving the quarter million mile hopeful?

Clean out the plug wells, have to do it anyway to do a compression test, might run a bit better, don't think you'll get another 25k by the sounds of it though.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
RogueSteel;1389408 said:
As in take off the intake mani and all that BS?
:cry:

Yep. To own a Supra you have to go thru that bullshit, if you don't want to then you shouldn't have a Supra. Or you can just run it until it dies like a lot of PO's have done to so many on here. ;)

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
RogueSteel;1391473 said:
Could you direct me to a how to for the compression test?
So I'm thinking plugs,wires, thermostat compression test, oil filter and a change should at least keep me running a littler longer?
Maybe yes, maybe no :) Do the compression test first, before you spend anymore money. You can look at the plugs and tell pretty much what is happening also.

http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/ Should tell you all you need to know.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Just a quick question. How does your coolant look, and your oil cap/dip stick? That is a shit load of oil, are you blowing a lot of blue smoke?

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
using 2 qts. every 2 miles, OMG I have never heard of such a thing, when it is not leaking on the ground. Oil rings or valve seals must be pretty much gone, unless there is hole in the cyl. Sounds like time for a rebuild or bump up the GTE swap a few months.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
4 quarts, 8 miles. Either you mean 8k miles, which I don't think you do, unfortunately, for you, or you live close to school (55ish km drive for me in comparison, three hour bus ride). Anyways, my point is, don't drive the damn car like that!

Take the bus to school or get a ride. Even bike or something. I'm just saying, I shouldn't have to tell you that.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Definitly sounds like a major problem if your losing that much oil. If all that oil was going into the cylinders your car would be smoking a CRAP ton, and would run like crap.. as you stated it did. Or its going into the coolant. Pop your rad. cap and just take a quick look and see if its oily looking. Then take out your spark plugs and shine a light down in each cylinder and take a look. Tell us what you see. Also to do a compression test go to autozone or somewhere like that.. you can rent a compression tester. The compression test screws into the spark plug holes and has a gauge on it to read compression. Then pull the EFI fuse and crank the car. you dont want the car to start, just crank over. do that till it reaches max compression. Do that on ever cylinder, write down the cylinder number and the amount of compression it had. Then report the findings on here... From the sounds of things you might want to think about starting that 7mgte swap alittle early ;)