Code 21 Main oxygen sensor signal fault

alvinheu

Dude WTF!!!
Jul 17, 2012
CALI
im also experiencing this exact problem after i did my rebuild....crazy thing about this is that before the rebuild the car ran perfectly fine...i mean no check engine no misfiring... its runs now but with a code 21 did a O2 change but the code still remains up

alvinheu

Dude WTF!!!
Jul 17, 2012
CALI
i have been trying to sort this code out as well... i was wonderin if u figured it out yet??? please keep us updated i to need to sort this code out...
ive taken off my whole harness to check all the wires and they all checked out good but the one thing i havent done is changing out the ecu

noshine

May 6, 2013
Alabama
Sorry I haven't got back sooner, been working. I'm planning on doing somemore trouble shooting tonight. I'll keep yall posted..

alvinheu

Dude WTF!!!
Jul 17, 2012
CALI
found out what was the reason why my supra was spittin out code 21....i did a test to see if the o2 was getting any power at the ecu and sure enough it was so it boiled down to the o2 heat wire. i rechecked and traced it as far as a foot from where the o2 plugs into and found that my wire was cracked.. i thought it wasnt enough to prob loose any connection. i pulled it apart where the cracked wire had started to get kinda corroded and just like that the wire tore apart easily. i reconnected and code 21 gone atleast for right now.. test drove it for a good 20-30miles and no engine light so far everything seems fine idles perfect but starting to get a slight slower response to he throttle so might have to check the tps and prob timing now...

noshine

May 6, 2013
Alabama
I got to do a little more testing yesterday. It seems the HT pin is not grounding. If i've been reading correctly the ECU grounds it internly? Is there any way to check it or just try to find another computer?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
noshine;1942252 said:
Yep, with the sensor pluged in to the harness, you can read 12vdc from each black wire to the battery ground.But unplug the 02 sensor and only one of the black wires reads 12v and the other is the ground. If you check voltage on the two wires,while the sensor is pluged in there is NO voltage beween the two wires.. It like it a dead short with the sensor pluged up. but no fuses blow?

Note: The ECU will only turn on the O2 sensors heater when the following parameters are met.
* When intake air flow is below a given point.

And

*Coolant temp is above 32°F
*specified time has elapsed after starting.(I am unsure what this time is. Pi or JJ might know.)

Until the parameters above are met you will read 12v to ground on both black lines. What you are seeing is 12v on the +B and the remaining voltage drop on the HT line. Since the ECU is waiting for the parameters to be met before grounding the HT line. And there should not be voltage between the two wires during this time, as your measurements indicate.

noshine;1942252 said:
I got to do a little more testing yesterday. It seems the HT pin is not grounding. If i've been reading correctly the ECU grounds it internly? Is there any way to check it or just try to find another computer?

As stated above, certain parameters need to be met before the ECU grounds the HT pin. Have you satisfied these parameters before testing?

noshine

May 6, 2013
Alabama
I got a chance to check the cooling temp. sensor and air flow meter, and there both in spec. Will running the car with no 02 sensor hurt anything? The car seems to run really good no boost problems or anything.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
True, it has the least authority, but open loop defaults to around a lambda of .9 and since best power mixture is richer than stoich he'll gain a bit going in that direction. Fuel economy will suffer as will catalyst efficiency though, since the lambda sensor is the most important emissions device on the engine.