Code 14?..HELP!

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Alright for those who have been watching my build up thread the supra is officially running and driving with the 1J. I just drove it to my work and back to see how it was. The one problem I have is it is throwing code 14. It starts perfectly fine but it is missing and cuts out at about 2k-2.5k. If I give it greater gas it'll cut out and buck sooner, but it always bucks and cuts out, and it isn't idling smooth at all. I've already checked the caps in my ecu and there are no burn marks and none appear to be leaking, the igniter filter is also grounded. Any thoughts on what I should begin to look at? Help would be great, thanks.

ebondragon87

Nov 6, 2007
Aurora, Colorado
I'm in the same boat as you with the exact problem, I've been scouring here and supraforums for the solution. and everything keeps coming back to the ecu but I opened it and it looks fine aswell. Out of curiosity what year is yours?

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
ebondragon87;953312 said:
I'm in the same boat as you with the exact problem, I've been scouring here and supraforums for the solution. and everything keeps coming back to the ecu but I opened it and it looks fine aswell. Out of curiosity what year is yours?

I have an 87, and I'm going back and forth as well, but I'd say double check your ecu because I just re looked over mine and missed something that I didn't see the first time...

So after taking a second look one of the caps has burn marks on one side and appears to be leaking from the other side, will any of the caps cause this to happen? Once again the car does start run and drive, it's the cap labeled C104.

ebondragon87

Nov 6, 2007
Aurora, Colorado
Mine is an 87 aswell, If the cap is leaking and fluid crosses two or more pathways then that could cause a hell of a problem. What color is the fluid that is coming out of the capacitor look like? I'm gonna pull mine right now and look in that area, if so i've herd there are places that will repair them.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
ebondragon87;953337 said:
Mine is an 87 aswell, If the cap is leaking and fluid crosses two or more pathways then that could cause a hell of a problem. What color is the fluid that is coming out of the capacitor look like? I'm gonna pull mine right now and look in that area, if so i've herd there are places that will repair them.

The fluid is like a brownish color, where have you heard they can be repaired locally? I think I have the chance to still save mine as my car is still running and the cap doesn't look like it's spread too far, and I have a blitz access ecu. Unfortunately there are no 1J's locally to swap ecus with.

ebondragon87

Nov 6, 2007
Aurora, Colorado
Most Computer repair places and some tv repair shops I've herd will do it. No one near me has a 1J either. I checked my ecu again and I have a little brwon spot near the same capacitor as on yours.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
ebondragon87;953469 said:
Most Computer repair places and some tv repair shops I've herd will do it. No one near me has a 1J either. I checked my ecu again and I have a little brwon spot near the same capacitor as on yours.

Yeah I think I'll be replacing those caps because when I first started my car I didn't have a CEL and it was idling smooth. Then it just started throwing one a couple days ago. One second it was idling fine I was standing over the motor then it started sounding like a slight miss, I looked at my dash and the CEL popped on. It looks like the caps just started leaking.

ebondragon87

Nov 6, 2007
Aurora, Colorado
Just in case you can't find a place to do it I have all the values of the capacitors that need to be replaced, any electronics store should have them.
I paid 93 cents a capacitor

15uF 35V
47uF 63V
33uF 35V
100uF 10V
220uF 10V

91 mK3

Laaaaaaag
Aug 22, 2006
Hayward, Bay Area
i just encountereds this code yesterday along with code 34. the symptom is that it has a hard time starting and also has a bad idle but when driven, it drives fine. the funny thing is that i had the capacitors changed by drifmotion about 6 months ago. i will try to put okin a different map snesor and borrow another ecu tomm. hopefully it helps. any update on anyone else with this problem?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
when you guys open up the ECU to check the caps, re-solder ALL of the connections on the board too. They crack, especially around the connector, which is why the caps usually blow in the first place.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
My problem ended up being the caps, Jose and Aaron were able to get them done and my ecu back to me as I'm in Texas with it right now.