Code 14 Fix - 1990 Supra

Bryan

Mar 17, 2010
San Mateo, CA
To make a long story short, wiring harness was sitting on hot part of exhaust gas recirculating system, thereby causing the Code 14. You could only see it after lifting harness and looking very close to see hairline melting and the exposed wiring that would contact pipe after car warmed up. This was causing herky jerky bucking. Sometimes car stalled after going up hill, or under acceleration.

Background: After reassembling car after head gasket replacement, car drove for about 10 minutes, then stalled going up hill, would not start, and Code 14. It started the next day, but after warming up, the bucking started, usually when going up hill or under acceleration and after car warmed up. Engine did not stall if I could get it over 3,000 rpm. I read a lot of forums, but there were very few solutions. I changed coil, changed cam position sensor wires and that didn't help. Eventually took it to dealer - (useless), then to a small shop, guy found problem in a few minutes. He apparently had a supra years before with similar problem. Lucky me.

Hope this helps someone, only took me a couple years to figure it out:)

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yup- Happened to a number of us on here, including myself.
In my case, the harness would heat up on the egr valve to the point where the short in the wiring would blow the efi fuse. After about 10 minutes, it would be cool enough so that the short would disappear, and it would stop blowing the efi fuse again. Thirty minutes later, blown fuse. Took me two days to find it.