clutch woes

Supratrbox2

Damnit
Jul 27, 2005
South Jerzey
Finished puttin my driveshaft bolts in and figured test time. So I push in the clutch and it wont go in any gear. And it grinds tryin reverse. I checked thorugh the side panel and the fork is engaging. The only tihng I can think of is the pp is in backwards cause the symptoms seam the same. Please chime in if anyone has some ideas for me.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Supratrbox2;1329824 said:
Finished puttin my driveshaft bolts in and figured test time. So I push in the clutch and it wont go in any gear. And it grinds tryin reverse. I checked thorugh the side panel and the fork is engaging. The only tihng I can think of is the pp is in backwards cause the symptoms seam the same. Please chime in if anyone has some ideas for me.

I had the same issue. With the car off, it goes into gear perfectly, if i start the car with it in gear holding the clutch down it would jump forward. If i started the car with it in Nutral and tried to go into gear and it wouldn't. Tried reverse it just grinded. I shit you not, I just fixed this issue this past Sat. I put the clutch disk in backwards.

Time to take out the trans (again) and put the disk on correctly.

Sorry no other way to put it. I didnt want to do it, but at my shop only took 3 hours with stoping for cigs and bsin with friends.

88_7mge

N/A Lover
Dec 1, 2008
Hemet, CA
Just because the fork is moving doesnt mean that everything is good hydraulically. Check to make sure your clutch is completely bled out, i have had that issue on my 88. pop the cap on the clutch fluid reservoir, then go underneath with a ten mm wrench and crack open the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder. ( you can actually reach it pretty easily with the car on the ground and laying on your back as long as you have stock springs.) open it up with something under it to catch the fluid. let it sit there and piss out while topping of the reservoir every few seconds to keep it from going too low. after about 2 minutes close it off. pump your pedal three or four times, then open it up and repeat. Afterward make sure your fluid is topped off and the bleeder screw is tight, then fire her up and see if that helped. If not let me know.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
see if its adjusted properly first. if you didnt remove any fluid i doubt theres air in the system.

when you put the clutch in did you check to see if you could spin the clutch disk on the fly wheel to see if anything hits?

Supratrbox2

Damnit
Jul 27, 2005
South Jerzey
The line was bled and no air was left. I dont recall checkin if anything hits. Trans is comin back out this weekend so got 2 days to sit on it.:cry: As far as adjustment, I thought it self adjusts? Please fill me in on what should be adjusted in case were talkin 2 diff things.

Last edited:

Supratrbox2

Damnit
Jul 27, 2005
South Jerzey
Turns out my disc was in back asswards. The snout goes to the flywheel even though my searches on here said other.:3d_frown: Well now time for the crank pulley tomorrow.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
next time before you bolt on the PP spin the disc on the fly wheel to make sure nothing hits.