clutch Releaser Bearing question

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
hi guys

quick question (i searched this but everybody says differently)

Is the releaser bearing suppose to touch the pressure plate when the car is on neutral ?

my releaser bearing is sitting right onto the pressure plate and spinning the same speed as the engine ?

is this right to or wrong ? does not seem like the releaser bearing will be able to hold high engine speeds like that

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The bearing is attached to the pressure plate with snap rings. The hub that the fork sits on is also attached to that. The bearing spins and the hub does not.

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
thanks hvyman, is the releaser bearing really designed to spin at high rpms like 7000rpm ?

it seems a little shakey even at 1000rpms.

my car was a auto and ive changed it to manual setup

see below video i have uploaded

http://youtu.be/4fPun3CXKx8

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Yes, the release bearing is supposed to spin at flywheel speeds. It is intended to remain in contact with the pressure plate, which is bolted to the flywheel.

Even if it was only supposed to be in contact when you disengage the clutch, it would have to spin up to speed quickly. This would increase wear on the spring tines and probably make an awful noise every time you pressed the clutch pedal as well. Even worse when you press the clutch at high RPM... Like when you want to shift...

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
thanks bud, makes sense

i was reading on a another website fj cruiser (or something it was called) where the guys made a spring pullback on the fork so that the releaser bearing would not be in contact with the pressure plate at all times.

so it left me abit dumbfounded.

thoose guys state that if the releaser bearing spins all the time it would wear out in a couple miles (which also could be true, as this is not a constant lubricated item)

80083r

bearings in some applications spin at very high rpms for a really, really long time. How do you think the turbo spins? (mind you that's probably an oil wedge, but I digress) there are quite a few industrial machines that have shafts spinning in bearings for a couple of years at a few thousand rpms under fairly heavy loads.

You'd be surprised what a bearing can do :)

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
:) yeah true, and if toyota designed it like that then im sure it will work

i was just abit worried cos i got a double diagphram pressure plate and solid hub clutch custom made up for my car and thought maybe the clearances are not correct seeing that the releaser bearing was sitting against the pressure plate all the time