clutch question about w58 anddrive shaft question

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
will an r154 clutch disc work with a w58 pressure plate. See I called exedy for a price quote and they said that the clutch disc for the w58 won't hold and all I would need to do is change the disc and it will work, I don't know if this is true just wanted to confirm it with you all before going that route. If it doesn't does anybody got one that will work for a dirt cheap price my auto tranny went out and now I'm hoofing it unless I either get a clutch or another car lol.

Last edited:

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I was under the impression that the stock clutch discs for either W58 or R154 were the same part, though the flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing etc are all different.

Given that, I fail to see how using an R154 clutch disc can make a difference with the rest of the components being the W58 ones, though at the very least it should work.

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
ok so if i bought a six puck disc to get me down the road should be ok for a mostly stock turbo? i will have the money in few months to get the Hd pressure plate. reason is i just got a w58 i got the input shaft for i hope that i got the right piece and didnt need the whole first piece of the drive shaft.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
You need the front driveshaft section, the whole section from the middle bolt together flange to the trans. Maybe you can just swap the yoke, but the length might be wrong and you'd have to get it balanced then anyway.

A 6 puck disc with a stock pressure plate won't hold. I tried that and no, not even close to holding.

Don't buy an HD clutch off ebay either, at least not unless it's a good brand like Spec, ACT, Competition, RPS, South Bend...etc.. The F1, eClutchmasters, and XTD clutches are junk and don't hold what they advertise. I got an eClutchmasters HD clutch and I think it was a painted stock pressure plate, and the 6 puck disc was junk too.

Buy a Spec or ACT Extreme pressure plate and a stock disc and you'll be happy.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Check the classifieds section. There are always people parting out cars. Make sure the yokes on the rear tube line up perfectly, otherwise the rear bonded tube might have failed, which is common.

If you want/need one fast and nobody is selling a used one now then you can get a brand new single piece steel one from jawsgears or driveshaftshop for about $350 or so.

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
Sweet deal thanks for the info if I have anymore quetions i'll do another post. sounds like I need to start accumulating parts, I do wonder if a one piece is a better option. and are the r154 shafts the same or do i need to focus on a non turbo shaft.