clutch problem?

stonecoretx

Dec 21, 2009
Texas
Well today I went to start up my supra and something happened,
Usually it starts up almost everytime unless its cold. not today and i'm missing work because of it so any advise would be fantastic!

:: angry :: ok, I unlocked the door, sat down, put the key in the ignition, pressed down the clutch pedal for start up.(this is where things got odd) as I pressed the clutch pedal all the way down I think I heard a small kink. naturally I took my foot off the pedal and it only poped back about half way as if stuck in mid engagement. i felt around by the pedal and nothing was loose. the problem im having is the clutch pedal seems to be stuck there and wont pop out like usual. I can give it a small pull and it will pop out all the way. pressed down, pop back halfway, small tug and it pops all the way out like usual. I havn't started the car seince this happend a few hours ago.

clutch pedal spring, cable or hydrolic? cylinder fluid?
has this happened to anyone?
I've had it happen to my old Honda CRX, clutch cable came loose, tightend the adjusting nut and bam fixed.

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
I had something similar to that happen to me. For me it happened to be a leaking clutch master cylinder. So I would start with checking that the resevoir is full.

vettedreams2001

Jun 20, 2008
Virginia
Sounds like pressure plate has some issues, to fix would probably require taking out the tranny, while you're under there might want to replace the cluth too.

stonecoretx

Dec 21, 2009
Texas
Well I just spent almost 1hr inspecting my pedal system and everything checks out eccept for eccesive rust, i sprayed everything down with some rust removal and wiped it all down, and re-adjusted the pilot and hight/freeplay. connecting rod is good, still have problem with clutch pedal sticking halfway.

round 2. DING!
my clutch/friction plates and bearings are "ok" so i'm sure it's something else.
looks like what red head said about his leaky resovior.
I'd hate to admit this but it might help someone with simular problem.
I confused the brake cylinder resovior for the clutch resovior, which is amazingly small located right of the brake cylinder. it was bone dry so it's off to the local parts store to aquire some clutch fluid. now with the little amout of fluid left i noticed it looked and smelled alot like dot 3 brake fluid in my clutch resovior..(previous owner)

what clutch fluid is reccomended for 7m-gte?