Clutch pedal won't come back up

z287mgte

Nov 18, 2008
ohio
Just replaced my 7mgte, i have a r154 , replaced clutch as well... problem is the pedal goes down and just sits there. "I dont believe i have the clutch in wrong!" i matched fly wheel with the fly wheel clutch side.. i believe everything is ok(except clutch prob) but i am still new to car world so i am still learning... thanks for all the help you can give me

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
z287mgte;1280901 said:
Just replaced my 7mgte, i have a r154 , replaced clutch as well... problem is the pedal goes down and just sits there. "I dont believe i have the clutch in wrong!" i matched fly wheel with the fly wheel clutch side.. i believe everything is ok(except clutch prob) but i am still new to car world so i am still learning... thanks for all the help you can give me

Ditto to the above. Air, or slave cyl. Bleed or replace. When you bleed it, after you push the pedal down, you have to lift it up every time until it's bled.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Same thing happened to me a while back, just bleed it and it should be fine. Manually push and pull the clutch pedal till it gets stiff again then refill it with brake fluid or clutch flui but brake fluid works.

z287mgte

Nov 18, 2008
ohio
thanks alot... will try and let you know what all happens... just wondering why would there be air in it when i never took that line off..i just unbolted it and put it back on

Last edited:

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
z287mgte;1280988 said:
thanks alot... will try and let you know what all happens... just wondering why would there be air in it when i never took that line off..i just unbolted it and put it back on

Is it/has it been low and you refilled it w/o bleeding? It can get air bubbles from different things. Or you didn't bleed it right, and didn't put enough in.

z287mgte

Nov 18, 2008
ohio
*james*;1281514 said:
Is it/has it been low and you refilled it w/o bleeding? It can get air bubbles from different things. Or you didn't bleed it right, and didn't put enough in.

I just unbolted it and put it back on.. never did anything to it...

T4Turtle

Mar 22, 2009
MN
Have someone watch the slave as you pump the clutch and see if it is moving. If it is not then you know you need to bleed. If the car was down for a long period it would not be shocking that it needs a bleed.

If it is moving through the entire range then you may not have the fork in correct. So hopefully it just needs a bleed..

z287mgte

Nov 18, 2008
ohio
T4Turtle;1281783 said:
Have someone watch the slave as you pump the clutch and see if it is moving. If it is not then you know you need to bleed. If the car was down for a long period it would not be shocking that it needs a bleed.

If it is moving through the entire range then you may not have the fork in correct. So hopefully it just needs a bleed..

not to sound dumb.. but does the fork just get pushed back in?

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
If it was hanging, and you had no hose clamp on it, it could have pushed the piston out. It will look like it's still in there, because the boot holds it in place. Pop off the boot and check it.

Mikek3

Sep 2, 2008
South Florida
sometimes when you just let it hang the piston will come out too much and leak/introduce air into the sytem. Just bleed it and make sure your fluid level doesnt drop too low, keep an eye on it and refill as necesary(sp?). If that doesnt work either you installed the clutch fork incorrectly or you need to replace your slave cylinder. hope that helps