Clutch Pedal Sticking Towards End of Return

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I've had an issue since the day I got this car. The clutch pedal kind of "sticks" towards the end of the return. I included a video below so you can see what I am talking about. I replaced the clutch master and slave with new OEM, and it didn't go away. In the process I also tried to adjust the clutch master rod to give it enough pressure to return, and it stopped the sticking, but the pedal engage/release wound up cartoonishly high from the floor. As in, from having the clutch pedal totally pressed down, the clutch would START to grab at like 80% of the way back to the non-pressed position.

Playing with the adjustment again today, I lined the pedal up at the same height as the brake pedal (they are supposed to be within the same range according to the TSRM) and got the engagement back to a comfortable point closer to the floor. Also had had someone help me bleed the clutch (again). Still no difference. With the clutch master rod disconnected, the spring for the clutch pedal seems to do a pretty good job of flinging the pedal forward and back, but I have no basis for comparison. I've replaced the clutch and flywheel for unrelated reasons during this process. I'm at a loss. Part of me is thinking about just extending the rod for the clutch master. Seems like it would solve the issue.

[video=youtube_share;O9rhFGOxYxw]http://youtu.be/O9rhFGOxYxw[/video]

jzamerican

Jan 25, 2012
buffablow ny
mine has always done this too lol. and i did a 5 speed swap so i have everything new. i installed a spring from a drum brake because the brake pedal also has a return spring. so now it always comes back to the top. but I'm wondering if i still have air in the system. maybe ill try it with a brake bleeder from work and suck the air out

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I bled the system with the half filled brake fluid container method. Ill try the way mentioned in thr sf thread but I'm not hopeful.

I'm really thinking about adding an inch or two of threaded rod. I get the impression it would do the trick. Tempted to try another MC but this thing has like 2k miles on it and doesn't appear to be leaking. Just hate wasting money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Poodles- without the rod connected I start pushing it down towards the floor and it shoots forward. When I start pulling it back it shoots back without any hesitation. I thought thats what its supposed to do?

I can't get it to stick in the same spot without the rod connected. Still think its the pedal?

I'm planning on bench bleeding the master, and if that doesn't work, trying a new unit.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Poodles;1975904 said:
Even without a master connected, the pedal should return. You have an issue in the pedal assembly...

No, the helper spring on the pedal assembly will hold it fully down or fully up without a master cylinder hooked up. The clutch pressure plate spring is what pushes the pedal back up. My bleeding helper always has to pull the pedal back up when I'm underneath running the bleed nipple.

If the pedal isn't coming back up, something is binding and holding the pedal down. Climb under while someone operates the pedal and make sure the slave cylinder and fork are moving properly.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Replaced master. Same issue. I can get the pedal to a point where it is the same height as the brake pedal and rebounds correctly. However, at that height the clutch is engaging right at the end (about an inch from my foot being off the pedal). Clutch grabs hard, but I'm starting to think its something mechanical with the clutch and pressure plate assembly.

Somebody talk me out of pulling the tranny.

Thoughts?

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
not to hijack a thread, but i too have a clutch issue..... my pedal goes down about an inch before there's any engagement. other than that, it works fine. is there any way to adjust this, or is that normal for this car?

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
gsxr141;1977238 said:
not to hijack a thread, but i too have a clutch issue..... my pedal goes down about an inch before there's any engagement. other than that, it works fine. is there any way to adjust this, or is that normal for this car?

Supposed to have a little bit of freeplay before engagement.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=CL&P=3

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
cool, thanks. i figured there was some adjustment room. it has a 5 speed swap from the previous owner, i'll just adjust it to specs.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its the metal spring or the pedal assembly. Seen this on tacomas a few times.

check where the spring meets the pedal and you will prolly see the spring wore into the pedal.