clutch options/advice

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
cars a JZA70, running 420rwhp.

currently has an OS gikken multiplate (not sure the exact model/type becuase theres 4 or 5 different options for the 1j and it was already on the car when i imported it)

this clutch is way over kill for the power im making and its a bitch to drive on the street, engagement is non-existant, its an on/off switch. ive driven OS clutches before, but none of them have been nearly as bad as this one.

im looking for a more streetable clutch that will still take lots of abuse.

also my OS clutch is working off a custom made push conversion.

are there any options for clutches out there that i can use and keep my push conversion? or am i better off just finding the stock pull stuff ?

(side question, what all parts would i need to track down? ive never actually seen the pull type clutch setup as this is my only supra ive owned and it already had the push conversion done when i bought it)

so what would a good clutch combo be for a 1JZ/R154 w/ 500-600rwhp? (in case i do any more mods later).
and what will i need for parts to make it work? (in regards to the whole push/pull setup stuff)

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I understand that the OS clutch may be very hard to drive on the street but if you are looking for 500-600rwhp you will need that clutch setup. It can be done on a single disc but if you already have the twin plate then you might want to keep it?

As for clutch combos talk to our vendors on this site. The 1JZ lightened flywheel from Driftmotion and the Action stage 4 clutch should be more than enough holding power.

On a side note if you are going to the single plate clutch let me know if you are selling the OS clutch.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
maybe you should try adjusting the clutch pedal... might make it a little easier on you.

and spec makes a full bolt on kit for a multi disc setup... includes the conversion stuff too.

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
theres not much i can do with pedal adjustment.

the clutch doesnt really engage/disengage until pretty close to the top of the pedal travel, but i cant adjust it any lower becuase it doesnt fully disengage until the pedal is fully to the floor. i dunno its weird, its like as soon as the pedal comes off the floor it grabs a tiny bit (just enough to make my syncros have to work hard/not shift smoothly) but doesnt grab enough to put any power down until towards the top of the pedal. im not sure if this is a function of worn out discs in the clutch, or something to do with the custom push conversion, but it behaves pretty strange.

ive driven lots of OS clutches before on the street and had no problem, this one just behaves strangely.