clutch options 8xx hp ?

turbodriz

mk3 onwer
Feb 25, 2006
newyork....N.c
doing 2jz r154 swap. Hoping to find single plate disc to hold this power. Any suggestions ? Or do I have to go twin plate. Any direction would be appreciated

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
IMHO, anything over 500 should go twin or you run such high clamping force that it wears the thrust bearings in the engine.

Multiplate will also be more reliable as most of the crazy single plates have issues.

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
Also, using a single disc rated that high will have your left leg bulging with muscles in no time.

I say look into objective reviews on triple plate setups from OS Giken, HKS, RPS, Exedy... and go from there.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Myself, I bought a SPEC twin disc. Set me back about $1600 or so, but I know it will last a lot longer than 3 clutches that *might* hold the power I'll be putting out, and I don't have to do two extra clutch jobs.

From experience with a friend's 500+whp setup, just do it right the first time and buy a multi disc clutch. ;)

turbodriz

mk3 onwer
Feb 25, 2006
newyork....N.c
te72;1906541 said:
Myself, I bought a SPEC twin disc. Set me back about $1600 or so, but I know it will last a lot longer than 3 clutches that *might* hold the power I'll be putting out, and I don't have to do two extra clutch jobs.

From experience with a friend's 500+whp setup, just do it right the first time and buy a multi disc clutch. ;)
that was my thought. Don't want to do it twice. Thanks for the confirmation fellas

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
how has this clutch been for you so far?

I have the same one and have put roughly 4000Km on it and had no issues so far. The engagement is fairly quick but with a manageable pedal weight I dont find it bad. I also daily drive this car.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
customs;1946458 said:
how has this clutch been for you so far?

I have the same one and have put roughly 4000Km on it and had no issues so far. The engagement is fairly quick but with a manageable pedal weight I dont find it bad. I also daily drive this car.
Were you referring to me? If so, I haven't put even a single mile on it yet. Hoping to have this car running and driving in a couple months. When you guys see what all is involved, it should make sense why it's taken so long. ;)

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
I am running a clutch masters 850 series twin disk. I will say it is a quality unit. Clutchmasters can build these units to handle whatever power you want to throw at it, the custom build each unit for the application.

One thing I would recomend to anyone contemplating this unit is to also use their FCV2000. (It is an one way orifice to give a constant release rate.) With the new hydraulic push type release unit and the clutch master cylinder bore without the valve it will be like a light switch. Literally clutch fully engaged or disengaged within a 1/8".

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm installing that same CM 850 unit right now. Are you using the FCV? What does it feel like? Do you still ease the pedal with it, or just pop it out and let the FCV deal with it? Does it affect quick shifts when you're already moving too?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
te72;1906541 said:

^This.

Also, the SPEC kit converts from a push to a pull. So, for ~$1600 you get everything (clutch master, lines, etc...) and it's a bolt on affair. At that power, don't even mess with anything but a multi-disc setup.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
CajunKenny;1947936 said:
^This.

Also, the SPEC kit converts from a push to a pull. So, for ~$1600 you get everything (clutch master, lines, etc...) and it's a bolt on affair. At that power, don't even mess with anything but a multi-disc setup.
Err... converts from a pull to a push, perhaps? ;)

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
GrimJack;1947920 said:
I'm installing that same CM 850 unit right now. Are you using the FCV? What does it feel like? Do you still ease the pedal with it, or just pop it out and let the FCV deal with it? Does it affect quick shifts when you're already moving too?

With the CM 850 I would recommend everyone to use the FCV2000. Yes I am running it now, you can slip it out easily and makes the unit streetable after 1st just dump it and the valve will take care of the rest. Without the valve it is not really slippable or streetable in my opinion(literally like a light switch). I am also running a dual racing, unsprung, full metallic disks for drag racing.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GrimJack;1947920 said:
Just read about this tech in GRM this afternoon, rather cool stuff. Might look into it on a future clutch swap, perhaps if the Mk2 ever needs one. :)

mark1987supra;1948090 said:
With the CM 850 I would recommend everyone to use the FCV2000. Yes I am running it now, you can slip it out easily and makes the unit streetable after 1st just dump it and the valve will take care of the rest. Without the valve it is not really slippable or streetable in my opinion(literally like a light switch). I am also running a dual racing, unsprung, full metallic disks for drag racing.
Thanks for the review man. So if I understand it correctly, you dump the clutch, and it doesn't bog or rip the tires to shreds, it modulates how much power to let through and takes the effort/skill out of learning to launch? Sounds like a pretty nice setup to me.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Another option is to run a linlock inline with the clutch line, and bypass around it with an 1/8 inch flow control. A lot finer adjustment, about half the money and when used with an aftermarket ecu, you can program an output based on vss, so only first gear gets restricted.

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
nathaninwa;1948581 said:
Another option is to run a linlock inline with the clutch line, and bypass around it with an 1/8 inch flow control. A lot finer adjustment, about half the money and when used with an aftermarket ecu, you can program an output based on vss, so only first gear gets restricted.

Most linelock's recommend less than 60 seconds of use, ie. there purpose just for a burnout. Short time period not sitting at a long stop light for 3 minutes, you would probably burn through more line lock solenoids over time then the FCV costs.

Back to the CM850 unit I would probably lengthen the input line into the hydraulic throwout bearing by 2-3 inches. It will put the bleeder line in an upright position to catch all the air. I will post up picks this week of how I mounted and ran everything.

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
te72;1948457 said:
Thanks for the review man. So if I understand it correctly, you dump the clutch, and it doesn't bog or rip the tires to shreds, it modulates how much power to let through and takes the effort/skill out of learning to launch? Sounds like a pretty nice setup to me.

No you want to run the biggest orifice possible as to not burn up the clutches. I am running the biggest a .005 in my recollection, and it is perfect. If you run to small of an orifice during shifts it will wear the clutches out fast. The restriction is only really needed launching and still you should slip the clutch out as not to roast the tires. In every other shift the larger orifice will engage the clutches faster, for faster shits. The valve will only restrict in engagement, not release. Larger orifice faster engagement, and smaller orifice slower engagement.