Clutch messed up. What now?

drostar

Apr 24, 2005
SK
It's a SPEC 3 clutch and a Fidanza flywheel. My clutch looks all messed up after only ~2000km. It looks like theres a good layer of dirty grease on everything (you can see my finger scraped some of it off the middle of the flywheel). It looks like there was either too much grease on the transmission shaft or it just melted and got everywhere.

So the question is, what's still good here? Do I need a new surface plate for the flywheel? The clutch cover looks the same, so does anything need to be done to it? Do I need a new clutch disk too? If I need a new clutch disk, can I just put a stock disk in instead of getting another expensive SPEC clutch?

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• clutch_closeup.JPG
    clutch_closeup.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 22
  • clutchcover_close.jpg
    clutchcover_close.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 22
  • flywheel.JPG
    flywheel.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 26

drostar

Apr 24, 2005
SK
I know that's a bunch of questions all in a row but I would appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

drostar

Apr 24, 2005
SK
suprahero said:
Why did you take it out? Was it slipping real bad? I'm just wondering why you removed it?

Got rod knock so I took everything apart.

But I've also been having a scraping/grinding noise occasionally while engaging the clutch. Something must have been misaligned. It seemed like i was more likely to happen in reverse gear but I don't know why that would make a difference...

drostar

Apr 24, 2005
SK
noah89t said:
did your fidanza go onto the crank smoothly? mine had to be heated and beat

I wouldn't say smoothly. It required some encouragement with a rubber mallet.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ Mine always did it in reverse, never worried about it.

I think it all looks fine (this is on a crappy work computer though). Looks like maybe the pressure plate has some spots on it, but if it wasn't slipping... whats wrong?

I would have a hard time spraying brakleen or w/e on a clutch disk. I would think that it would mess w/ the clutch somehow.

Get everything turned before you put it back together, you'll be fine.

I would call that 'grease' clutch pad crapp... the part that gets scruffed off.

I'm not an expert, however.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I thought it was burnt a little as well, but what self respecting supra owner hasn't slipped his clutch a little?................:biglaugh: