Clutch Master?

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Anyone have any ideas on why my clutch pedal would engage near the floor like a dead master but pop up (hard) after raising my foot up?

It stays near the floor for a 1/2 second or so and then comes up and hits the bottom of my foot with a fair amount of force.

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet and I'm pretty sure the master is toast (120k on a dealership reman) but I'd never heard of the pedal popping back up so violently.

edit: So I snuck a peak and I guess I figured it out myself. The master is gone like I thought and the giant spring is just yanking the pedal up.

New question though. It's a Toyota reman set (master/slave) with 7 years and just over 100k. What are people's thoughts on aftermarket rebuild kits?

Last edited:

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
there is a spring attached to the pedal that keeps tension upwards so the pedal does not get stuck to the floor. So that spring is doing its job your clutch master is out.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Compton74;1882533 said:
there is a spring attached to the pedal that keeps tension upwards so the pedal does not get stuck to the floor. So that spring is doing its job your clutch master is out.

Mine must be broken...

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Maple191;1882592 said:
Factory rebuild kit. Or just buy a aftermarket complete unit.

Thanks. Aftermarket master and slave together is cheaper than the factory rebuild kit for the master so I'll just order them today.

I guess she's getting herself ready for winter between oil cooler lines, power steering pressure line, speedometer cable, and now this all within 2 months.

Sent from my vivow using Tapatalk 2

-- edit --

Ordered the Aisin master and slave for $66 to my door. Add a bottle of brake fluid and it's still under $75 for the whole job.

Last edited:

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
mkiii222;1882635 said:
Ordered the Aisin master and slave for $66 to my door. Add a bottle of brake fluid and it's still under $75 for the whole job.

Aisin makes Toyotas Master and slave so techincally its actually factory. Just not wrapped in a factory box.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
That's why I went with Aisin over other brands ;)

And I got it in today (warehouse turned out to be in Cleveland so 1 day ground shipping ftmfw :D )

It's raining and cold so I'll get it done tomorrow and snap some pictures to finish off the thread.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Turned out to still be raining and cold Sunday but I got the master/slave installed and bled AND got my Walbro installed. Due to rain and yard I had to rush the car work so there are no pics.

For those that complain when there aren't any promised pics you can enjoy some of my old work: