clutch help!

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
ok guys i had the 1g twin turbo but finally sold it and can get my power back on. the guy i sold it too was the same guy i sold my 86.5 na to and he gave me 1500 and my 86.5 na 5spd back so i have an 86.5 na 5spd now yippee! now heres my ? the clutch gets stuck on the floor i have changed the slave cylinder and the master cylinder and it still sticks to the floor any ideas? also the car starts fine but you cant put it into gear and it will not move. the clutch stays down until you pull it up. oh and this setup is so much easier to find what your looking for than it was the old way A+ for the new setup:naughty:

jd20phill

Jun 2, 2005
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
the same thing happened when the master cylinder went out in my 87 na. After rebuilding the cylinder, the clutch would go all the way to the floor and wouldn't come back up. We had to bleed the system a few times, and after doing this just pumped the clutch until all of the air worked its way out of the system. Also, make sure that none of the lines are clogged. Hope this helps.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
ok i bled the system fully and still it goes to the floor and wont come back up without pulling it up! i tried adjusting the plunger on the pedal and still the same thing. my only other guess is the damn pressure plate is wore flat and wont spring the clutch back up. any other ideas what could cause this?

trdmk3supra

LVNBSTLFE
Mar 31, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
yo it is your clutch and i have abrand new stage 3 clutch kit for sale if you want for 260.00 with shipping it is from pro clutch. i orderd the wrong clutch and it is for an n/a supra not a turbo model.here are the pics and also one pic is of old disk in my car but the new disk is the same in the new clutch kit.

Attachments

• car pics 062.jpg
    car pics 062.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 12
  • car pics 077.jpg
    car pics 077.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 8
  • car pics 078.jpg
    car pics 078.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 7
  • car pics 079.jpg
    car pics 079.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 9

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
i would love to have it but i dont have any cash. i can trde you a set of leather seats if you want.they need to be cleaned or redyed but they are in the parts fs section under good leather seat. if you want them lmk thx

JAB89

Supramania Contributor
Mar 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It sounds to me like you still have air in the system. I hope you understand that you cannot let the master cylinder reach empty at any time during the bleeding process. If you do then air gets back into the system. This can happen very easily since the reservoir for the clutch is very small in comparison to the brake master.

I found this $5.00 tool from NAPA to be very helpful for brakes as well as the clutch. It allows you to do the job without an assistant. In fact when I used it to bleed the clutch I found you did'nt even have to pump the clutch pedal. It simply bleed from gravity when you open the bleeder nipple. But only open it for a few seconds so as not to empty the master cylinder. Then refill the fluid level and do it again. You may have to do it two or three times. It is really quite simple as long as you DO NOT LET IT GET EMPTY.

Attachments

• 219522.jpg
    219522.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 13

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
i'll try to do it again but it never went all the way empty when we bled it. i may go to napa and get one of those to. thx

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
i got one of the one man bleed systems from napa and bled it out again making sure it stayed full and it has no air in it it just pushes out fluid no air bubbles. and the clutch still stays on the floor. anything else i should check before i pull the clutch out?

fatality

I was speeding?!? NO WAY!
Mar 1, 2006
Houston
are you bleeding it properly? I've found those bleeding things to not work well (or maybe I just can't work em properly).

1. assistant stomps on clutch and holds
2. you open the valve
3. you close the valve
4. assistant takes foot off of clutch
5. assistant pulls clutch back up with hand
(since clutch should not come up by itself right now)
6. back to step one

go through steps one through five about 3-4 times then fill the master cylinder up to top. repeat untill you use at least a whole bottle of brake fluid

I know this sounds elementary but I've seen lots of people invert steps one and two, which wont really work.

good luck man

JAB89

Supramania Contributor
Mar 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Do the two man bleeding procedure listed above by Fatality. It is correct.

Now, while you are under the car with an assistant pulling the clutch pedal up and then pressing it down again (with the bleed valve closed of course), watch the clutch arm and make sure it is moving. If it is NOT moving a reasonable amount (I would guess an inch or so) then you still have a hydraulic problem, probably the clutch master cylinder, assuming it has been bled succussfully. But if the clutch arm is being moved by the slave cylinder like it should then the problem is internal to the clutch.

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
i had the same problem when replacing my master and slave cylinder for the clutch.

what i did was open the bleeder and push the pedal down and pull the pedal back up once. then close the valve.

i don't kno why that made a difference but i had the same problem as you,
constantly the pedal would stay to the floor until i did the step i mention on top.

after that you can proceed to the two person bleeding procedure or use the NAPA bleed tool.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
when i m under the car the arm does move the clutch fork but it pushes it but will not come back until you pull it up. ill give the clutch thing a try and let you guys know how it goes. thx

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
If you're bleeding the clutch yourself, you need one of those kits. If not, you have to close the bleed port before the person in the car lets up on the pedal or you'll just suck air back in.

It does sound odd that the pedal doesn't return, like somethings not letting the spring return the pedal. Does the pedal feel like its dragging on something or hard to push? It could be the bearing on the clutch.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
ok i went out and tried to bleed the clutch like mentioned above, and still the same thing. except i noticed that when i have the 1 man bleed system on it when ever you pump the pedal the fluid seems to be leaking out around the bleed screw threads. so my question is 1 is this more than likely my problem? is it letting air back in the sys? and 2 if so can i simply remove the bleed screw and wrap it with teflon tape? if not what other options do i have? and for the ?'s no its not hard to push and no its not dragging either and the spring is still very strong.

JAB89

Supramania Contributor
Mar 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Godspeed said:
ok i went out and tried to bleed the clutch like mentioned above, and still the same thing. except i noticed that when i have the 1 man bleed system on it when ever you pump the pedal the fluid seems to be leaking out around the bleed screw threads. so my question is 1 is this more than likely my problem? is it letting air back in the sys? and 2 if so can i simply remove the bleed screw and wrap it with teflon tape? if not what other options do i have? and for the ?'s no its not hard to push and no its not dragging either and the spring is still very strong.

If fluid is leaking from the bleed screw threads when it is open and you push the pedal down, it doesn't mater.

If fluid is leaking from the threads when it is closed and you let the pedal up or pull it up (and again it MUST be closed BEFORE you let it up), then it is a problem. Likewise if fluid is leaking when you push the pedal with it CLOSED, then it is a problem. If the later is true, you could put teflon tape on it I suppose, though you would have to do it again if there is a next time. Worst case; a new slave cylinder is only $41 from Jay Marks Toyota and $37 from NAPA.

Last edited: